Interior lights

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Re: Interior lights

Postby jjbardell » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:20 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Josh,
Those lights look a lot like these:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... bolt/1685/

That's looks the same. I love them. Small, light, inexpensive and fills the entire cabin with light.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby builderflyer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:23 am

Young "bold" pilots...........all this discussion on ways to light one's cockpit tends to make the hair stand up on the back of my neck given the reason for doing so is to allow for night operations. Not that flying at night (even sometimes over extended periods of time and over hostile terrain) in a single engine airplane hasn't been done by most of us in our younger days (some of us even got paid to do that). There comes a time as we age, though, that flying a single engine airplane at night poses too much of a perceived, if not real, risk ( Barry Schiff's decision on this matter comes to mind) and we put that idea in the past. But flying at night in an experimental aircraft powered by an experimental engine is.......well, just over the top in terms of risk factor in my opinion.

Sorry, but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

Art (old and not so "bold" commercial and instrument rated pilot),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95 (day VFR only),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jab3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby fastj22 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:07 pm

I built my Waiex to be night VFR. But to tell the truth, I haven't flown at night ever in it and don't plan it either. Last time I flew at night was when I was training for my PPL. Its fun, but just not something I find a need to do anymore.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:34 pm

Bryan,

To answer your question about have I flown at night and how does this look/work in those conditions?
No - haven't flown at night. That would not be legal. I'm a PPL rated with Complex/HP endorsement, but am currently exercising the Sport Pilot priveledges granted by the FAA.

I have however flown at civil daybreak when it's still "dark" outside but technically within 30 mins of sunrise and the added red glow in the cockpit was helpful.

I have a follow up physical scheduled for May 3rd with my Family Physician...and plan to take the paperwork with me for "Basic Med"...so I can operate again legally with a 3rd Class medical and fly again at night.

I just plan to operate around the airfield for now (landing to a full stop) to regain my Night currency. I have not flown at night either since completing my PPL back in 2000.
Last edited by ScottM-Sonex1629 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby mike.smith » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Mike,
Is your light this one?
http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/psp ... ckkey=6551

I believe so. If you read the reviews you'll note that not everyone likes them. I aimed mine via a bracket, and the rest of the swivel motion of the light points anywhere I need it. But as one person mentioned, there is a little electrical "box" that comes with the light, and it acts as both a dimmer (if you want to wire it that way; I didn't), and as a current limiting device, so you must use it or you will burn out the light. Note that I mounted that little box right behind the light fixture. Unfortunately that's right where my comm antenna was mounted, too. When I turned on the light I would get interference on my comm radio. I relocated the box a couple of feet away from the light (and the antenna) and all was well again. When I say "box" it's only about 3/4" high and 2" square.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:59 pm

Guys,
I appreciate all the discussion. I have ordered some of those super bright LEDs to play with. They are cheap. Besides the post lights and single LEDs I bought a white light strip to glue on the tank. I have one of those backup cameras to check the fuel level.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby dtwolcott » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:49 am

Bryan
I see you are going to glue a white LED light strip on your tank to be able to see the level of fuel with a backup camera. I just ordered a backup camera that has a light included. Not sure how this light is going to work on the same side of the tank as the camera. Have you given thought as to how high up on the tank you might mount the LED lights so as to provide the best view by the backup camera of the level of the fuel in the tank. I will need to experiment with the backup system when I get it.
Don
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Don,
I doubt I'll use the lights on the camera. I know a great idea when I see it (usually).
https://youtu.be/pnXE_hSvlJI
Thanks Jeff!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby dtwolcott » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks Bryan for providing the link to Jeff's video.
Don
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Postby andrewp » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:42 pm

On the night flying side:

I don't go out of my way to fly the Sonex at night (or any airplane), but I did it multiple times in the year 2016 (generally moving the airplane when I absolutely had to for very short trips) and it was great. I have led lighting in red behind my head at the top of the turtle deck and multiple red leds under my panel projecting on various things, all controlled by PWM using a microcontroller. I have a single duckworks HID light in the left wing.

I only fly at night when the weather is perfect and to very well known places. I try never to land anywhere I haven't been before during the day (182 / Sonex / anything).

I put the lights in back in the day thinking I would never use them, but I have done so quite a few times now. I like 'em!
andrewp

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical System