Broken rudder pedal spring

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Broken rudder pedal spring

Postby rizzz » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:22 pm

During my last aerobatic session I managed to break one of the rudder pedal springs.
I did not notice straight away but on the way back to the airport when I put my feet back on the floor and noticed the plane was not flying straight anymore. Initially I thought I had bent something doing aerobatics so I was feeling a bit uneasy about it and landed as soon as I could, turns out it was just a broken spring.

Anyway, rather than installing a new one I'm considering just taking the other one off as well. I remember reading others have done this as well.
Anybody see any issue with this other than not having tension on the cables when your feet are not on the pedals?
I know RV's don't have them either BTW.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Re: Broken rudder pedal spring

Postby gammaxy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:49 pm

I never installed rudder springs. I wonder if they help prevent the rudder from slamming against the stop if you managed to get negative airspeed in a tailslide or something? Otherwise, I haven't missed them while flying.

Maybe they improve handling while pushing the airplane on the ground? I've noticed some people seem to be able to push the Sonex in reverse from the front. On mine, I pull at the tail with my hand steering the rudder, otherwise it doesn't take much for the tailwheel to choose its own direction.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Re: Broken rudder pedal spring

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:34 pm

I made my rudder cable adjusters shorter and without the hole for the spring. Dead weight as far as I'm concerned.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to General Discussion