Skyguard (was under Navworx discussion)

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Postby mike.smith » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:35 pm

I had several emails back and forth with the company, and got these responses about the SKYGUARD ADS-B tranceiver. Q= question asked; A= answers back.

Q1. If I install the GPS and antennas, will it be a 2020-compliant system for an experimental aircraft?
A1: Yes, it will be.
Q1-a: What other hardware is needed (GPS, antennas, etc)? Are they available from Skyguard?
A1-a: The unit comes with an internal GPS and we provide a portable GPS antenna that can be used inside the cockpit. You can also install an Active GPS antenna on the top of your fuselage if you like. We also include some wifi antennas and transponder interface antennas but you will need to purchase 2 belly mounted external antennas which you can get for about $70 each. We recommend the Delta POP UAT Antenna for these. Search the internet to find them.
Q1-b: Is there any advantage or disadvantage to either? Is the active GPS required in order to accomplish something particular in the ADSB system? Does either type provide the ADSB-out compliant position information?
A1-b: Both the internal GPS antenna as well as any externally mounted GPS antennas are all ACTIVE antennas. The only benefit of using an external antenna is you will get somewhat better reception as the Antenna cannot be blocked by any aircraft structure. Otherwise they are about the same.

Q2: Would the GPS be the hockey puck kind that could go up on my glare shield?
A2: The GPS antenna we supply is for internal cockpit use. It normally goes anywhere as long as it faces the upward sky. The UAT antennas can be either the stick&ball or the wing type which is available from Delta POP. You can find them on the internet. Additional Stick&ball antennas can be purchased from Aircraft Spruce.

Q3: Will the unit output a WiFi or Bluetooth signal to send to my Android tablet? I'm happily using the Avare software.
A3: Output is via WiFi

Q4: Do you know if it will interface with the Avare software (Android)?
A4: I do not know, you would need to contact them.
Q4-a: Is there a particular signal format that is output? I think that's what determines whether any particular software/hardware will be able to use the signal.
A4-a: Our units output the GDL90 software protocol over the WiFi link to the display device. Any display device the you hook to the SkyGuard must also support this protocol.

Q5: I have a Sandia STX-165 transponder. Will the Skyguard interface with that?
A5: Yes, we have had other customers with this transponder.
Q5-a: How do they tie together? NavWorx had the Transmon (I think they called it) that simply wrapped around the antenna coax from the transponder.
A5-a: There is no physical wiring. Our unit has an antenna on it that just listens wirelessly to your transponder.

Q6: I have AHRS in my avionics already, so that's not something I need.
A6: OK we have a unit with or without AHRS. You’ll save some money if you don’t need the AHRS.

I did download the Installation and Operation manual, but still have some questions.

Q7: Can aircraft N-number be set to be anonymous, as with other ADSB systems?
A7: No, not at this time. The FAA frowns on this and we are trying to complete our TSO’d version and don’t want to cause any issues with them.

Q8: In the System Block Diagram there is a single line from the I/O port to 5 different devices including the transponder I would only need the transponder and maybe the annunciator light. Is there a wiring harness for that I/O port? Or a wiring diagram so we can make our own harness?
A8: We do not provide a wire harness and you don’t really need one. Remember our units only listen over RF to the Transponder. The annunciator light is just 2 wires that run from the DB9 I/O connector to a panel light.

Q9: Does the pressure altitude have to come from the static line, or is the information be obtained from the transponder signal?
A9: It comes from the transponder. No static lines required. One of the antennas on the unit “sniffs” the information coming from the transponder and uses that.

Q10: In the manual it notes there is a series of lights when the unit is turned on, but if the unit is installed out of sight under my seat pan, does it matter that I can't see the lights?
A10: This is what the annunciator light is for.

Q11: I see 4 antennas in the diagram (besides the GPS antenna). I've not seen an installation with 4 antennas. The NavWorx system had a single UAT antenna, and then the GPS hockey puck. Are 4 antennas required?
A11: Yes, but we proved 2 of them that go directly on the unit. You must provide the 2 externally mounted antennas.
Q11-a: Aha, so only two antennas need to be mounted on the exterior of the aircraft? I was thinking from the block diagram that 4 antennas would have to be outside the fuselage.
A11-a: Yes, only 2 antennas on the outside of the aircraft.

Q12: Is the standard GPS in the box an approved WAAS GPS?
Yes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/uatessquawk ... ver-model/

Costs ($1,490 total):
- Dual band
- Skyguard TWX /EX (experimental) box: $1,350
- (2) stick and ball antennas: $140
- Assuming you have a transponder w/ altitude encoder, and a tablet or other screen
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: Skyguard (was under Navworx discussion)

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi mike,
Thanks for the good info. So ...... Are u buying one? Anyone else have one besides john?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:28 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi mike,
Thanks for the good info. So ...... Are u buying one? Anyone else have one besides john?

WaiexN143NM
Michael

Not sure yet. Navworx still has my $$.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 am

Hi mike,
Ah, didnt know you had a deposit or full payment to them. The Vans site VAF had some enlightening posts over the navworx fiasco. Some other people had posted they had paid money down too, and have tried to call or emails and no response. I've got my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath. We have a navworx adsb600-exp box , sitting in the box. It's omnious, staff layed off, phone line to a full voicemail, emails not returned. Bill Moffitt please update us on your website. .

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Gripdana » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:02 am

I also have a 600-EXP in the box and am waiting to hear what is going to happen. Here are the emails from Bill Moffatt. Though not holding my breath at least there is 3 years left. Hopefully it gets worked out so customers don't lose.

From: Bill Moffitt BillMoffitt@navworx.com Subject: Re: NavWorx Information Request
Date: January 22, 2017 at 9:12 PM
To: Dana Baker gripdana@mac.com

Dana,
We're continuing to work with the FAA to resolve the issues; but we must wait for their AD resolution before updating any units.

Best Regards,
Bill Moffitt
NavWorx Incorporated 888-628-9679

From: Dana Baker <gripdana@mac.com> Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2017 7:58 AM To: Bill Moffitt
Subject: Re: NavWorx Information Request
Hi Bill,
I was just on the Navworx website and see that your statement has been taken down. Can you give me an update on what is going on with the FAA and if there is some movement on getting the EXP allowed for use? I purchased the EXP just before the FAA stopped its use. I now have a new unit in the box. Just looking for any kind of information.
Thank you
Dana Baker
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby Speed » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Michael, I bought one in Oct '15. Still in box. Haven't had time to do anything with it. But I look forward to using it. My iFly 740 and iPad will both display the data. Since I'm based at KHWY just outside the DC airspace, I expect the traffics feature should helpful (lost very good friend due to midair 10nm out from the pattern). Bill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Plans built Sonex #50 (2002); now with Corvair-100hp and Aux Wing tanks (2009); 4th owner (2015).
N77ZZ @ KHWY ... "Speed" (my old Air Force callsign)
Speed

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi bill,
So sorry to hear the loss of your friend due to the midair. One of the things that suprised me was when talking to pilots, from my atc work of 33 yrs, when traffic displays and tcas came to the cockpits, how much the pilots were suprised how much traffic is out there , especially in big metro areas of the usa. Yes sir lots of planes, lots of talking separating everyone, and lots of early gray hair!!
What irks me about the navworx/faa fiasco is people paid their hard earned money on this product, and yes they want to get it installed and enjoy the safety benefits of doing so. How long will this drag out ? Gee maybe he should have a return policy for people that dont want their navworx box any more or dont want to wait any longer. But that prob isnt going to happen. Staff laid off, but he's now answering emails. Must be back from hawaii.
Lets see what happens. Will the phoenix arise from the ashes? Thanks to all that posted about other adsb products. And sorry to mike smith , we had the thread on the navworx, it kinda migrated to this skyguard thread. I owe u a beer a t osh 17 mike.
Anyone else with adsb insight please post.
Take care all.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:57 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:And sorry to mike smith , we had the thread on the navworx, it kinda migrated to this skyguard thread. I owe u a beer a t osh 17 mike.

Well if that's all it takes to get a free beer...!!! :-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby waiking59 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:12 pm

mike.smith wrote:
WaiexN143NM wrote:And sorry to mike smith , we had the thread on the navworx, it kinda migrated to this skyguard thread. I owe u a beer a t osh 17 mike.

Mike, did someone say beer, count me in;-)
waiking59

Postby fastj22 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:57 pm

waiking59 wrote:
mike.smith wrote:

Mike, did someone say beer, count me in;-)

Hey, if someone's buying, I'll spin a yarn all night long on the benefits and pitfalls of the Skyguard.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Next

Return to General Discussion