Input needed for video presentation

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Input needed for video presentation

Postby mike.smith » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of making a presentation to my EAA chapter in a couple of weeks, about video from aircraft. What camera(s) are you using? Mounts? Video software? I have a GoPro and am using Filmora for editing. I'd like to have some information on what others are using.

Thanks,
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: Input needed for video presentation

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Hey Mike,

The only camera I've ever used is my trusty GoPro with the supplied GoPro mounts, double-sided taped to different points on the airplane. Some friends at work have used the standard GoPro mounts, using the tape only, and have tested the integrity of the tape up to nearly 400 mph on the wing of a P-51. It held just fine!

I also have the headset adapter cable that plugs right into the GoPro and your headset (www.sportys.com, part #2043A) and it's always worked great for me.

Unfortunately, I can't really offer any advice on the editing software. I'm as dumb as it gets on that stuff so Robbie Culver always edited the Foundation videos.

That sounds like a cool presentation!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby NWade » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:27 am

I like my Drift Innovation cameras (similar to a GoPro but a sleeker form factor and a lens that rotates so you can get the horizon to be horizontal no matter the angle you actually mount the camera in).

For editing I keep it simple and use either iMovie on my Mac or Screencast-o-Matic on my Pc.

Enjoy,

--Noel
NWade

Postby Fastcapy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:33 am

I use the Sony Action Cam (I got 3 for the price of one GoPro with the same specs) and use Cyberlink Power Director for the editing. I tried a bunch of other ones, but the rendering speed of P.D. is awesome. Hands down the fastest rendering of the 10 or so I played around with. I have also used lightworks in the past because it was freeware and at the time didn't want to pay for software. Good software, a little more than I need though.

As for audio cables, I wired in a aux out jack to my radio and just plug a cord into the camera from there.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:34 pm

NWade wrote:I like my Drift Innovation cameras (similar to a GoPro but a sleeker form factor and a lens that rotates so you can get the horizon to be horizontal no matter the angle you actually mount the camera in).

Does the Drift have a way to control the camera remotely? Like from your mobile phone?
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:35 pm

Fastcapy wrote:I use the Sony Action Cam (I got 3 for the price of one GoPro with the same specs) and use Cyberlink Power Director for the editing.

Does the Sony have a way to control the camera remotely? Like from your mobile phone?
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
mike.smith

Postby Fastcapy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Cams have WiFi and I can view, record, change settings, etc from the app on my phone. I can even save videos direct to my phone that way as well I believe, but I haven't actually done that with it.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby NWade » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:52 am

mike.smith wrote:Does the Drift have a way to control the camera remotely? Like from your mobile phone?

Yes. It comes with a small remote-control you can use. It also has an iOS/Android app so you can control it with your phone over WiFi if you want (the camera itself will act as a wifi hotspot).

Enjoy,

--Noel
NWade

Postby demodean » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:35 pm

Mike,
I've never offered an opinion on this website, but I wanted to provide you with first-hand information regarding your request for input. I am the Chief Pilot of an aerospace company specializing in 141-approved UPRT and Spin training. We utilize cameras every day. I strongly recommend against utilizing Drift cameras. We purchased several sets of Drift cameras (Stealth 2s, Ghost and Ghost S) nearly three years ago. Unfortunately, we have experienced various failures with every camera. In several cases, we are on the third replacement. Originally, their customer service had a rep in the US. They were very responsive and wonderful to work with.

Now, their customer service is based abroad and they only conduct business via email. It has taken over a month to receive any service in most cases. Our cameras always have the latest firmware updates, yet we still deal with random failures routinely. I'm glad that NWade has had good experience with his systems, but we have not. They have been unreliable and their remotes may or may not start the cameras.

I strongly recommend the Garmin systems. They are reliable and their customer service is exemplary.

Best of luck with your presentation!
Regards,
Dean
demodean

Postby kevinh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:25 pm

For an example on Garmin customer service:

I have one of their bike GPSes (an edge 520). While travelling I literally crushed it - as in a pile of parts. But I contacted their customer service (because I heard it was great), told them I crushed it by mistake and they said "send it back (so we can see how it failed) and we'll sell you a replacement at cost (something like $50) if you just give your credit card # now."
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Next

Return to General Discussion