Sonex B models

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex B models

Postby Lbrandt » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:14 pm

I purchased my B-model conversion kit in October. Since then I have built the forward (new) portion of the fuselage, made the modifications to the front of the tailcone, modified the wing roots by trimming the nlroot and replacing all the root ribs as well as mounting blocks and root rib attach fittings.
Yesterday I finished the wing reinstall by centering, leveling fuse and wings and updrilling main spar to 1/2" and rear spar carry through to 1/4". I have the root doublers and wing walk trimmed and ready to rivet before I remove the wings and get them ready for repainting.
It has been mostly a very enjoyable process. There were several back ordered parts at first but at present I have everything but the motor mount for the UL260IS.
A lot of parts are reused from the Legacy model and that surprise me a bit at first but I did get over it eventually.
The day that I picked up my kit I unloaded the ten foot long pallet in
My hangar as was planning to load up all the removed parts from my Legacy model and haul it to the recycler but I was too lazy at the time. After starting construction and search the inventory for the parts unneeded I realized that anything on the plans with an SNX part number I'd either have to remake from scratch or remove these parts from the old fuselage. I drill out a lot of rivets but did decide to remake several parts from scratch.
I hope to be completely back together and flying by mid-July.
Sorry this was so long but I just wanted to give a small report on what it takes to convert from a completed airplane to the B-model.
Thanks for ready.
Leroy Brandt
Sonex B-Model conversion N393SX
Tri-gear
UL Power 260IS
Lbrandt

Previous

Return to General Discussion