Jabiru

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Jabiru

Postby Concorde » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:41 am

John . You can find a little more info in February 2017 issue of Kitplane Magazine, the weight of 3310 listed at 184 lbs which is not correct,it should be a few lbs lighter than 3300 .
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby Concorde » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Concorde wrote:Hi Mark.
Is Sonex going to have Fire wall forward kit and support for UL 260is ,beside just the motor mount for the legacy Sonex ?
How about the new Jabiru 3310 or maybe the Rotax 912 ?
Thanks for your help.
Ben
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby markschaible » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 am

Hello SonexBuilders.net!

Concorde wrote:Hi Mark.
Is Sonex going to have Fire wall forward kit and support for UL 260is ,beside just the motor mount for the legacy Sonex ?
How about the new Jabiru 3310 or maybe the Rotax 912 ?
Thanks for your help.
Ben

UL Power North America will be providing all FWF installation support for their engines. They have historically been very responsive and helpful with customer installations of all aircraft types, and we expect that to continue. Sonex provides engine mounts for UL 260 and 350 series engines as an option for all B-Model Sonex, Waiex and Xenos aircraft, and the Jabiru 2200 engine mount for Legacy airframes fits and will support the loads of the UL 260-series engines. For those looking to install UL 350-series engines on Legacy aircraft, Sonex recommends that builders work with Kaolin Aviation (the UL Power dealer in Georgia) for custom engine mount fabrication and cowling work. Kaolin Aviation also offers Onex engine mounts for UL Power: https://www.facebook.com/KaolinAviationServicesLlc/

Like the UL Power engines, Sonex Aircraft is only providing B-Model engine mounts as Rotax support. There is already a huge knowledge base available to builders for Rotax installation support from vendors like Leading Edge Air Foils, Lockwood Aviation and others, and we believe Sonex customers are best served to use those installation support resources. We couldn't begin to make ourselves experts on all the idiosyncrasies of Rotax installation in a timely and efficient manner compared to the many years of Rotax installation experience already offered by these vendors.

When it comes to Rotax engine mounts for Legacy Sonex aircraft, or for the Onex, there are many individuals and vendors in the homebuilt community (even some within the Sonex builder community) who offer custom engine mount fabrication. For those enterprising builders looking to fab their own mounts, there's a great video from EAA in their Hints for Homebuilders series covering engine mount fabrication: http://bcove.me/40f89h1f

With regard to the Jabiru 3310, Sonex Aircraft has received few specific details about the engine, but our understanding to-date is that the mount geometry will be the same, and all existing Sonex Aircraft engine mounts and installation support materials for the Jabiru 3300 will still apply.

As-always, please feel free to get in-touch with us directly here at the factory, using the contacts below!

Regards,
-Mark
--
Mark Schaible
General Manager
Sonex Aircraft, LLC
phone: 920-231-8297
fax: 920-426-8333
http://www.SonexAircraft.com
http://www.AeroConversions.com

Sales Info: sales@sonexaircraft.com
Orders: orders@sonexaircraft.com
Accounting: accounting@sonexaircraft.com
Tech Support: tech@sonexaircraft.com
markschaible

Postby Concorde » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:44 am

Hi Mark.
I do appreciate your response and I will contact Kaolin and the Leading edge aviations and will post their response here.
As a side note. I am sure that you are very aware that the builders here are very supportive of Sonex and they do anything to promote and to help Sonex grow. In my honest opinion the last thing that we would need is for the builders that aren't fully qualified to start doing this critical part of the build on their own with no real support . The result may not be what we want...... my 2 cents .
Thanks again
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Previous

Return to General Discussion