Just dreamin a new model sonex

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Just dreamin a new model sonex

Postby fastj22 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:05 pm

Sounds like you guys are describing the Zenith 640.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby ihab » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 am

SP1 wrote:... detachable gas powered range extender.

I'm forced to imagine an AeroVee-powered pusher trailer....

http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads ... tevens.jpg

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby ihab » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:14 am

fastj22 wrote:Sounds like you guys are describing the Zenith 640.

Well that is definitely the CH640's mission. But the kit quality leaves something to be desired, according to builders; the fuselage structure is in my view more finicky and curvy than it needs to be (if slab sided is aerodynamic enough for Grumman and Sonex, it's good enough for me); rear legroom is apparently nonexistent (hence my "weird" back-to-back proposal); and the design is all but dead with maybe two actual flying copies worldwide.

For the rear seats, see the three options for that design:

http://www.zenair640.info/options.html

all intended to increase space: (a) lowered floor; (b) raised roof; and (c) seat backs moved 2.5" aft.

I'm tellin' ya folks. Back to back is the way to go! :)

I'll see myself out the door, thank you....

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 am

If I ever want a 4 seater, it would probably be a C170 or C172 for $25K. We are Sonex builders, so we are cheap. Hard to beat that and they are available. A buddy of mine bought a complete unloved project for $5K. They are out there. The RV10s are awesome. If I had that kind of budget I'd probably buy a Waiex-tailed Beechcraft.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:16 am

Looking at the costs to properly equip an RV10, you'd be better off buying a used Cirrus SR20 and use the savings to pay for the annuals.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby DCASonex » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:32 am

An option for Sonex might be to go in the opposite direction. I think I saw that inverted oil system is an option for the UL engine, and the 107 HP version of that popped into an Onex that was beefed up a bit, perhaps with very strong fixed wings with Sonex spars, would make a great aerobatic plane. I was surprised at how well Onex sales have been doing which shows there is a market for single place, even though the now discontinued aero version of the Sonex did not sell all that well. Sort of suspect that one did not sell because one would be building a two place plane that could only carry one person and did not have much to offer over standard Sonex, but an Onex optimized for aerobatics would give up nothing. Cost to Sonex to add this line extension should be minimal, there is little competition out there for it, and it would get good publicity keeping the Sonex name prominent much as the Sub-Sonex has done, but for much less cost.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby vwglenn » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:55 am

A tandem Onex (Twoex?) with a UL350 on the front would make me drool. I love sitting in the cockpit of the Onex. It just feels right to me. So much so that I've considered selling/trading #600 and picking up a Onex. If they came out with a stretched Onex, I think I'd have to get my checkbook out.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:38 pm

DCASonex wrote:I was surprised at how well Onex sales have been doing which shows there is a market for single place, even though the now discontinued aero version of the Sonex did not sell all that well. Sort of suspect that one did not sell because one would be building a two place plane that could only carry one person and did not have much to offer over standard Sonex, but an Onex optimized for aerobatics would give up nothing.

Who said that the Sport Acro was discontinued??? Every builder has the option of building their Sonex/Waiex with the aerobatic aileron option. That's the only difference between the "Acro" version and the "Standard" version of the Sonex/Waiex. That option continues in the B Model kit. If you want to build the "Acro" version, you are perfectly welcomed to!

And anyone who has ever flown one will tell you that the Onex doesn't need any "optimization" in order to be an "Acro" bird. That thing BEGS to do acro! I can honestly say that, in all the flights I made in the factory Onex prototypes, the only time that I did NOT do at least one roll was a very short maintenance flight where I stayed in the pattern. I was tempted to do a roll on downwind, but I thought the tower would frown on it. The Onex was born to acro, so there's no need to make any changes.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Fastcapy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:48 pm

I was tempted to do a roll on downwind, but I thought the tower would frown on it.

I think Marty's head would explode!!! :lol:
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:39 pm

Fastcapy wrote:
I was tempted to do a roll on downwind, but I thought the tower would frown on it.

I think Marty's head would explode!!! :lol:

Yeah, for sure. I've made his head explode for a lot less than that!! :o
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion