Just dreamin a new model sonex

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Just dreamin a new model sonex

Postby ihab » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Reposting directly with attached pictures this time. This is the EXACT 2+2 concept you are arguing for! Please lobby for Sonex to build this if you believe it is the right thing.

https://plus.google.com/+IhabAwad/posts/SdFzyTHPDZe

IMG_20150725_190414.jpg

figure-1.png

figure-7.png

figure-5.png
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby robbwerks » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:04 pm

I have seen that model, but I personally don't like the rear facing back seat. I do think that as long as we discuss our ideal configuration, the more likely that Sonex will work to develop a model to satisfy our needs.

How about a stretched B model with a rear area large enough for a decent amount of baggage, or maybe a single side facing jump seat. 2 place with a short term single rear seat?
robbwerks

Postby ihab » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:52 pm

robbwerks wrote:I have seen that model, but I personally don't like the rear facing back seat.

Fair enough! :) For what it's worth the comparable planes that I know of are the Sling 4 (nice plane, not bargain basement) and Zenith CH640 (all but dead design, builders report poor fit and finish, legroom reported awful) on the one hand, and the Glasair Sportsman 2+2 (also nice plane, pretty expensive, rear facing back seats an option). If the goals of such a design can be met with a more conventional ;) layout, then more power to the designer!

robbwerks wrote:I do think that as long as we discuss our ideal configuration, the more likely that Sonex will work to develop a model to satisfy our needs.

I agree, though it troubles me that it seems Jessica Bower is no longer listed among Sonex employees. Who then would do the actual structural engineering, etc., on new designs?

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/press/rele ... 01415.html

robbwerks wrote:How about a stretched B model with a rear area large enough for a decent amount of baggage, or maybe a single side facing jump seat. 2 place with a short term single rear seat?

Cool ideas! :) It would certainly fit for my family (me, my wife and our 13yo son).

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi all,
If sonex comes up with a new model, i would think it would be something the competition doesnt have. If jessica is no longer at sonex, it was nice to meet her at osh 16, and wish her the best. I think pete buck is the main go to guy for engineering for sonex. Good to see sonex adapting more engine choices for aircraft. (Sonex/waiex). Rotax, UL. I think jabiriu will be ok, they have sourced parts from other vendors. Camit's demise was too bad. They had improved alot on the engine. Suggestion to sonex: offer a rotax, jab 2200 , or UL 260 option for the Onex.
I was thinking of something of the moni for a new model. Single place , low cost , easy remove wings, put in enclosed trailer. Engine? Hks? UL 260? Large retractable monowheel. Y tail. Low build time, highly pre fab. Matched hole final size cnc ( like the zenith cruiser.) prop that folds forward for soaring. Low operating cost. Forward hinged canopy. Very simple aircraft , and affordable. Cowl cut to final size, easy build canopy. Vynel wrap ?
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby JT1974 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:38 pm

My wish is a firewall forward package including laser cut baffling for a 130HP UL Power engine for the Onex. I bought an Aerovee for my Onex and I'm sure it will be loads of fun. However, after seeing that Yellow and black UL Powered Onex at Airventure Oshkosh 2016 I have been quietly saving my nickels so that someday I can turn my Onex into a 130hp rocketship.
Jason T
Onex 182
JT1974

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi all,
So would u like to see a new model, single or 4 place ?
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby jowens » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Four place with standard seating, high cruise speed, long cross-country fuel capacity, useful load that comes close to full fuel and four adults. A stretch B model, as others have indicated.

I have also been looking at the sling 4, pretty disappointed with the published Vne speed.
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
800 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Postby robbwerks » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:28 pm

jowens wrote:Four place with standard seating, high cruise speed, long cross-country fuel capacity, useful load that comes close to full fuel and four adults. A stretch B model, as others have indicated.

I have also been looking at the sling 4, pretty disappointed with the published Vne speed.

I second this.

4 place(2+2), 130-140knot cruise, 700+NM range/40gal fuel capacity, 800lb+ useful load.

I was also looking at the Sling 4, aside from the very low Vne, it's estimated completed cost was still well north of $100k. Might as well build an RV-10 at that point.

I think that even though there are several 4 place homebuilts out there, they're either unproven designs, geared towards stol/backcountry, or expensive.

I'd love to build an RV-10, but even the quick build kit($60k) still take 1200 hours minimum. That O-540 is pricey as well. Factor in avionics, paint and a nice interior, and yours at $125k-$150k easy.
robbwerks

Postby fastj22 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:16 pm

You would probably want to power this new 4 place sonex with an O540 and IFR panel and I bet you'll be right up there at $100k.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby ihab » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:45 pm

fastj22 wrote:You would probably want to power this new 4 place sonex with an O540 and IFR panel and I bet you'll be right up there at $100k.

That's my feeling too -- I think an "as simple as possible" Sonex 2+2 has to be something that some subset of pilots will laugh at and call a silly toy. And that's fine with me: If they can afford the alternative, then more power to them! A Sonex 2+2 would be for the proverbial Rest Of Us [tm] who don't mind being the butt of everyone's jokes if it means being able to defy gravity just one more time....

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion