Flat spot on the canopy

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Flat spot on the canopy

Postby kmacht » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 am

I hit a small snag in intalling my canopy this weekend. I did the intial cuts to the tape line and then put the canopy on the airframe to mark the initial trim lines. It is at this point that I noticed a flat spot on the canopy about 6" in diameter directly in the center. I had stored the canopy upside down (with the edges sticking up) on top of a blanket in the shop thinking that this would be the safest and most relaxed position. It sat there for about a year between buying it at Airventure and now. It looks like where the canopy contacted the blanket and floor it had flattened out. The flat spot is directly in the center just a little forward of where your head would be in the cockpit. I don't plan on spending much time looking straight up so it won't really be an issue when flying but is more of a cosmetic thing. I'm looking for suggestions on how to maybe work the flat spot out. I can push it with my hand and get it to mostly go away but it pops right back flat when I let go. I thought about heating it but am not sure if that will do more harm than good.

Keith
kmacht

Return to General Discussion