Repeat Offenders

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Repeat Offenders

Postby epvans » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:01 am

Does anyone out there know how many folks out there have built and flown more than one Sonex product.

I ended up building a Waiex N38YX and then a Sonex N773SX. I know there are folks out there who have similar disorders and I would like to know who you are :)

Peter

W&S.jpg
epvans

Re: Repeat Offenders

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am

I'm currently building my 2nd airplane...but it's not another Sonex.

I've also built two kit cars prior to the Sonex...so your right it's an illness.
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:32 pm

I have yet to actually finish a project. Started off with an RV4 tail kit. Switched to a Hummelbird, which I still have. It is 90% done, 90% to go and we'll finish it after the Waiex. I was distracted by a C140 restoration in my old EAA chapter and was unable to finish due to a career change. After the Hummelbird I want to build a Skybolt. I don't see another Sonex in my future but I would never say never. Someday I will get involved with the local explorer post, Youth Exploring Aviation. Currently they are rebuilding a Champ. A Sonex would be a great project to build with a bunch of high school aged kids.

I know Ron Voss here in Rockford built two Sonexi but now flies a tailwind, last I heard.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Are you keeping both airplanes Peter? They look so great sitting side by side!

Personally, I'd love to be a repeat offender and hope to do that someday. Like many others, I know that if I could build another Sonex it would be a much better job than my Waiex. Looking back now, I was in a hurry to finish and didn't do that great of a job. I consider my Waiex perfectly safe, but not super pretty.

Maybe someday I'll be able to build another!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi all,
Peter love the twin sonex and waiex.
Bryan , keep at it . We look forward to see you and adam on the flightline at osh 17. I saw the hummel booth behind the zenith booth at osh this year. I looked at their online web page and store. Was impressed.
We built a varieze when i was in high school. Still have it. Putting in the navworx box ( thanks john gillis) we won at oshkosh. Waiex 143(jab3300) is flying. Waiex 183(camit3300) under construction, converting to b model. Zenith 750" cruzer under construction, Cont. O-200 ready to go for install.
Too all building, continue, dont sweat the small stuff, u may make some mistakes, part of the process!
Like jeremey said, just stick another rivet in it! Get finished, get a A/W cert. , get thru phase one, and join the fun!
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby epvans » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi Mike, I actually sold the Waiex. The new Owner flew into my airport and I could not resist taking a photo of the twins.

I wonder how we could find out who the repeat offenders are. I asked Sonex but unfortunately they do not maintain a list.

May I could parse the builders database of completions on the site?

Thanks

Peter.

PS you plane is awesome
epvans

Postby Jeffrylite » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Merle Reppert in CA is the most egregious offender. He has built 4, two Sonex and two Onex. The first of each had an AeroVee, the 2nd had the Jab 3300. All 4 were tri-gear. Great guy and fabulous craftsman. Currently building a Double Eagle. Not to make you guys feel bad but he completes in 9-18 months on average.
Jeffrylite

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Jeffry,

I was thrilled in hindsight to get my Waiex flying in 3 yrs. When you work 45-55 hrs per week and building an airplane in your "spare" time its a challenge. I was motivated and like Mike Farley, I have some warts in my Waiex. I was decidedly in favor of 100% safety and happy with 90% in the cosmetics dept.
Now at 5 yrs out and 500hrs on the airframe, It could use some love on the cowl. I could stand to do a rebuild on the cowl or just start from scratch and build an entirely new cowl with some mods I know would improve its operation and function.
All things considered its a pretty tough little airframe an is holding up well. Only issues are the cowl, which I flush riveted on the hinge lines. That has proven to be a bad call. The material is just too thin and has allowed some level of movement that has created cracks in the paint around the rivets. Still holding well but beginning to show its time. If I were to do it again, I would use the standard head rivets.
I've about worn out the vental fin on the tailwheel gear. It has grounded out on so many taxiways that are more like "offroading" in there state of dis-repair.
I've added a second gear leg bolt on the right gear leg at the engine mount end do to wallowing caused by gear leg shudder. This was caused partly by alignment and also partly by the mechanical brakes not being smooth. I've since replaced the brakes with hydraulic units and that has reduced the shudder by 90%. I still get it at certain load range conditions and speeds of about 15 mph taxiing.
I know this report is slightly off topic, but hopefully of general interest to many builders and operators? Good little plane.

Larry
Waiex121YX, Camit 3300 orphaned for now.
LarryEWaiex121

Postby floridasonex » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:12 pm

I've only built one Sonex .. but I've owned two. I bought one already built and flew it a couple years. Sold it when
I was ramping up to retire. Then immediately built another one after retiring and moving. Took 9 months working
full time on it. It was my second build .. as i had built a Titan Tornado 2S with Jab 2200 prior to buying my first
Sonex. i flew it for 3 yrs or so.

RT
Trigear Aerovee Sonex 1579
Flying since 4/1/13
floridasonex

Postby kevinh » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:02 am

I'm kind-of a repeat offender. I built an RV7 and flew it for about 500 hrs. Wanted to try something different so now building a Waiex (but out of the country till Dec so build on hold).
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Next

Return to General Discussion