Archiving Photos?

Post your comments, concerns and suggestions for the site.

Archiving Photos?

Postby scotttro » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Something I've come across on other forums, and have noticed here, is that pictures not stored on-site sort of melt away after a while. An example: I'm assembling my Waiex's wings, and remembered a post here about relieving the root ribs for better access. First Google hit was this site, so I clicked and was presented with the "Darick's Sonex #1646" ( http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=913 ) thread, in which the first couple of images (possibly of the mod in question?) had expired.

I know there are many images of the mod around, but the problem is that, as time passes, more and more of these images will time out at their hosts. Some forums are riddled with "image not found" messages, often making them useless as references, and always frustrating to browse.

Is it possible for the forum software to archive images in some way? It would be a shame if important information was lost because a user changed their image hosting provider.
scotttro

Archiving Photos?

Postby Sonex1517 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Our Sonex Foundation Zenfolio photo site is always available as a permanent storage method. If anyone wants to submit a photo email it to Robbie at sonexfoundation dot org and I will upload it there and post a link here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Archiving Photos?

Postby Darick » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:32 pm

[quote="scotttro"]Something I've come across on other forums, and have noticed here, is that pictures not stored on-site sort of melt away after a while. An example: I'm assembling my Waiex's wings, and remembered a post here about relieving the root ribs for better access. First Google hit was this site, so I clicked and was presented with the "Darick's Sonex #1646" ( http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=913 ) thread, in which the first couple of images (possibly of the mod in question?) had expired.

Scotttro,
I uploaded another picture, although not quite as good as the original.
Darick
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Re: Archiving Photos?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am

Sonex1517 wrote:Our Sonex Foundation Zenfolio photo site is always available as a permanent storage method. If anyone wants to submit a photo email it to Robbie at sonexfoundation dot org and I will upload it there and post a link here.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robbie, how much space is there on our Zenfolio site? Having lost both my photobucket and postimage stuff I've sort of lost the interest in posting. I am not sure I trust these photo hosting sites any longer. It is really too bad though, as we are doing cool things so we can use real Cessna type throttle and mixture controls for our aerocarb.

Or, if someone else has another idea, I'm all for it. Sonexbuilders and SaturnFans is the only "social media" I do.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Archiving Photos?

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi Brian

I believe it was decided to discontinue the site. I am not even sure if the link works anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Return to Suggestions