The little turbo that could: ORD-PITT-CLE

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Postby jjbardell » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:01 am

Friday morning was too nice to go to work so we loaded up the Sonex with 27gal of fuel and hit the skies. Departing 3CK (25nm NW of KORD), we flew south around the B and C inner rings and set our sites on Pittsburg. Climbing to 7,500, we leveled off and watched the sun rise high into the sky. Smooth and uneventful flight.

IMG_3276.JPG

Leg #1 3CK-KAGC
Dist: 412nm
Climb: 90mph to 7,500
Cruise: 140mph, 30.5", 6.1 gph
Time: 3.9 hours w/ 125mph gs ave

After a nice lunch and short tour around town we left for stop two and our overnight destination, Cuyahoga County which is 19nm NE of KCLE. Flight had light chop and a 10-12kt xwind landing. Uneventful, but with the increasing wind we decided to hangar the plane for the night instead of leaving it on the ramp. Cleveland Air is really nice and gives us $25/nt hangar since we are so small. The ground crew there loves the Sonex.

Leg #2 KAGC-KCGF
Dist: 50nm
Climb: 95mph to 2,500
Cruise: 130mph, 29", 5.8 gph
Time: 0.7 hours w/ 103mph gs ave

We had a nice evening and enjoyed a hike through some woods and parks on Saturday until 3pm. Due to incoming weather, we assessed our options for the weekend and decided to cut it short and get home.

Winds had increased by this time, inclement weather was over Chicago and the headwinds winds at 2,500 ft were 15kt. Winds at 4,500 ft were 40kt. So we fueled to the max hoping it would be enough for the 326 mile trip home.

Departing KCGF we got tossed around like a paper airplane. KCLE was too busy to acknowledge us so we couldn't get clearance for higher altitude and was forced to stay below the B airspace for the first 30 min. After an hour of making decent GS, we were both feeling queezy and decided to sacrifice speed for comfort. Climbing to 4,500 (between two scattered/broken layers) we found a unbelievably smooth air. The vertical separation wasn't more than 1,500 ft. The few pilots out flying were all reporting moderate to severe chop at their altitudes. After a quick pilot report to Center, we found our thin airspace crowded with every other pilot flying requesting 4,500 west and 5,000 east.

IMG_3290.JPG

The downside was we were barely passing cars on the highway. Winds had increased to 40-50mph and our ground speed was a mere 90mph. As Center passed us onto South Bend approach the MGL was letting me know we had 1.5hr of flight time and 1.6hr of fuel left. Dang, the new 11gal aux tank wasn't going to get us home from CLE non-stop. Down into the bumpy air we went, requesting a new destination...KSBN. We setup for a final to RWY19 (winds below 2,000 were 190 @10 g20. On final we advised Tower we were looking for some self serve 100LL and needed a quick departure.

We had a little excitement post landing when a golf cart met us, after being instructed to turn left onto a closed RWY27, with a sign that said "Follow Me - Tune 122.95". We tune in and hear, welcome to SB for the Fighting Irish Game. Are you staying for the game. I take a moment to process and look around to see 70+ private jets lining closed runways and ramps. There is the owner of the UFC and his Global Express. The owner of Under Armor. More Gulfstreams than I can count. Seriously...I have never seen an airport so full of planes. It was packed. We taxied for 4 minutes behind the cart while he wove us around dozens of jets.

IMG_3320.PNG

We stop the plane and 10 ground crew members come out and are so excited to see the tiny little bird next to all the monster jets. They loved the Sonex, didn't charge us the landing fee (seriously, a landing fee on game day!), topped off the main tank (no self serve on game day) and then invited us in for dinner. Yep, the crews of the jets who's owners didn't bring them to the game were all around the lounge in leather seats enjoying chili, sandwiches, desserts, salads and beverages while watching several huge TVs. What a treat it was after the long travels.

We quickly ate and made way for departure. Ground has us squawk to even get clearance to taxi. We went to a holding pad and were number 2 behind a new Citation X. Several Citations and Lears were on final trying to get in before the game kickoff. The Goodyear blimp was hovering over the end of RWY9 (which is where the stadium is).

Leg #3 KCGF-KSBN
Dist: 223nm
Climb: 100mph to 4,500
Cruise: 130-140mph, 29"-31", 5.8-6.3 gph
Time: 2.7 hours w/ 98mph gs ave

We blasted out and with more than enough fuel so we put the hammer down to 32" and leveled off at 2,500ft. Smooth air but that head wind was back in our faces, this time over 50mph. We made our way up the Chicago skyline and cut just above the TFR for Wrigley Field. We could see the game had just started. GO CUBS!

IMG_3317.JPG

We dipped below the Bravo airspace (1,900 ft) and got tossed around a lot. After clearing we climbed quickly to 2,500, back in smooth air again. The landing was going to suck, I knew that already. It was night, the RWY was 26 (straight into the 50mph wind at 2,500) but a 60 degree cross wind on landing. ASOS said 12 g17mph.

2 mile final I put in 10 degrees and kept the bird fast (90mph final). We cross through the wind sheer which had dropped to 2,000 ft and increased to 52mph, into the turmoil of xwind chop. The plane worked hard for me. A few pockets of air had me at 42" inches then quickly back to 16" to keep on the glide slope. I knew this was a one shot landing, because if we had to abort, we were destined to fly to KDPA for a RWY facing the winds.

50 feet above the plane is still tossing. I hammer more rudder and more throttle. She settles in and the mains hit as planned...firm and fast. A gust blows us back up slightly but I keep the stick down and dump the flaps and grab the brakes. She doesn't side skid or anything, just stays planted as if it had the weight of a 747. It took 2,000 ft to slow her down, and with a smile, I look over at my co-pilot and say, "welcome home sweetie".

1.jpg

Leg #4 KCGF-3CK
Dist: 103nm
Climb: 100mph to 2,500
Cruise: 135mph, 32", 6.8 gph
Time: 1.2 hours w/ 107mph gs ave

That is one solid airframe. It flew really well. We idled the engine for 8 minutes so the oil temps and turbo could cool. The engine worked on final and oil temps climbed to 210 briefly. The turbo did it's job and told that wind sheer who was boss!
Total Distance: 788nm in 8.5 hours and a whole lot of fuel.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Re: The little turbo that could: ORD-PITT-CLE

Postby ldmill » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:22 am

Fantastic story!! And I was watching the game, it was just as exciting as your experience. Bottom of the 8th, bases loaded, pinch hitter goes in, and the Cubs get a Grand Slam to win the game. Next batter up - another home run...
Cheers!
Lorin
ldmill

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:52 am

Great trip report!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby n982sx » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:50 pm

Great report.

One thing however, flying out of Gary, I am up and down the lake a lot and need to watch out for the stadium TFR's. As far as I know, you can't get over the stadium TFR's in Chicago because it puts you in the class bravo at 3,000 feet - you need to go around over the lake

I'll double check.
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 pm

You are entirely correct Bob. The TFR goes to 3000 and the Bravo starts at 3000. You have ADS-B out that's likely to result in a phone call.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:30 pm

Great trip report Josh and thanks for posting!

I'm always glad to hear someone using their Sonex for some real traveling! It sounds like yours is running great!

Thanks for sharing!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby jjbardell » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:51 am

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Great trip report Josh and thanks for posting!

I'm always glad to hear someone using their Sonex for some real traveling! It sounds like yours is running great!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Mike. It's hard to believe 83LJ has already logged 90+ hours, 150+ landings, 7 states and flown over 7,200 nm this summer alone.
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
jjbardell

Postby jjbardell » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:15 am

Several forum members have asked me why I rarely post anymore. I explained that while most the forum members are great people, some of them believe they know more than everyone else and love to comment on posts in an arrogant and condescending way. But since this calls to question my flying and integrity, I will gladly respond.

Before I do, I want to say this reply is not directed at Bob.

Bob, since we do not know each other, my reply to you would simply be, “I was at 2,500ft, below the Bravo airspace. By cut above, I mean, I had to delay my left turn to 3CK until I cleared the TFR…I had to fly further north to the ‘top’ (i.e.- 12 o’clock position) of the TFR circle. I was on the east side of the TFR”.

Now, back to my reply…
It makes me think of a flight back on March 20th, 2016. I was in phase 1 testing and starting my cruise performance testing. I text two fellow Sonex pilots to join me at Rochelle for lunch. After all, these two were my friends and helped me during my build and I was excited to show them the completed project.

Moments later I received a text. It read something like this…

‘Look just to the S of RFD. It’s on the corner of the map. That’s well outside the 25nm phase 1 limits. This proves it, he is just going to do whatever he wants. Completely breaking the rules’.

Here is a recreation of the map for your reference.

rpjmap.JPG
rpjmap.JPG (66.46 KiB) Viewed 5280 times

I calmly clarified that my FSDO granted me 40nm and that RPJ was 38.6nm from 3CK.
Here is a flight plan for said route:

rpjdist.JPG
rpjdist.JPG (21.29 KiB) Viewed 5280 times

Here are the operating limitations per the DuPage FSDO. I call that black and white. No test box, just 40nm ring.

tfr3.JPG

Let’s fast forward to October 16th, 2016. I “cut just above the TFR”. Looks like I’m getting a call from the FAA...again. Doing whatever I want. Breaking the rules. Going rogue. Perhaps I’m going to jail, losing my license for sure.

A visual representation of my reply to Bob.

tfra.JPG

I am not a veteran on the forum or to aviation. I continue to learn every day and will never stop learning because I will never know everything. I strive to fly safe, within my limits, the limits of my aircraft and within all FARs.

I work to be a good and true friend to those who enter my life. And for handful of builders who I am in regular contract helping with your builds, I assure you I will always be honest and genuine.

I have been flying for 15 years. I have logged time in countless aircraft types, including B747-400. One thing I have learned over all these years is that a pilot who thinks he knows everything is the most dangerous pilot of all.

With that said, Fly safe all. Keep the shiny side up, the rubber side down.
Last edited by chris on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Comments of a personal nature were removed. If forum members have issues with each other, I encourage you to contact each other directly and not post for all to see your disagreement.
jjbardell

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:58 am

Hi all,
Oh no. Sorry to see this. I have met both of you and consider you both to be good friends to the sonex community. Maybe meeting for lunch someday to repair your friendships would be in order. Sometimes posts may be perceived as arrogance, but maybe in reality some have more experience or knowledge about something. I think in the end some (including me) are trying to focus on safety, the sonex brand and flying community. Trying to keep the sonex reputation , pilots, builders, factory, and wannabes in good regard.
Josh , sorry for your fustration.. I know when i first met you, your plane, our interaction, are wise way beond your 15 yrs of flying.
Robbie, everyone appreciates your effort and work for sbpf. Fly somewhere for lunch, meet up with josh. I bet he'll take you up on your offer. Give him a sonex hand shake , lets move forward.

Be safe , fly safe.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby andrewp » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:05 pm

Ok, ok, ok. I have the advantage of not knowing either party involved in this transaction, so this makes me an expert.

All pilots are picky. We all think we are doing it better or right, except me who only sometimes thinks that is so.
People who build their own planes are even worse. They are naturally competitive or whatever it is and their planes are their children. So operation of said child turns out like I don't think A is doing it right because said airplane doesn't go to be by 8:00pm or whatever.

Like children, I suspect once you get to your second airplane, you start caring less ;-). Like parents people make judgements and say stupid things. On the bright side, I think this just means that we are just as human as the next endeavor. If you think you get judged flying your Sonex, try checking flying a certified airplane. Bloody hell ... the amount of grief and judgement over airplane operation over that puppy from people that think they know more than you or judge you on something. The trick is to not hold it against them (and to not care) and for those who have an attack of pickiness to remember that we are all in this together.

So I don't know you, man who flew his Sonex at night with cool pictures, and I have heard (I think) Robbie on a podcast but never met you either. I am aware and appreciative of the Sonex Foundation stuff (I need to join before you make me guilty), but I will say this. The whole ADS-B out comment was something I read from a 90 year old gentleman on the Cessna Pilots Association who can't type. I know you are not 90 years old and I believe you can type ... not sure of your point. If he busted something, he would know about it. And that would be between him and the FAA. That sort of comment has no place here unless you think it is justified and have a good reason to say. As it stands, boy, I read this and it feels like something I might have seen somewhere else. Because I am an expert, I know you are better than that. Also: there is not enough of us for this crap. Come over to the Cessna pilots association and maybe tell someone that they shouldn't fly because they got a bad oil analysis or something if you are in that sort of mood. Get it out of your system.

Josh, please post your adventures. I enjoyed it.
Robbie, if I am being bad, please flame me. I probably deserve it. Alright I almost certainly deserve it.

Andrew
Sonex #618
Ancient Cessna 182E that will backrupt us all.
andrewp

Return to General Discussion