Modified canopy latch

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Modified canopy latch

Postby radfordc » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:58 am

N44SX wrote:If you put that second notch into the standard latch, you should extend and strengthen the longer registration pin so that if the canopy experiences a lifting gust, it will not back out of the notch, and fly open, and break. I speak from experience.

I made a simple device that prevents the above issue. It was a small aluminum locking tab that fit into the slot behind the latch. Totally prevents the latch from coming undone...you can even fly with the canopy latched into the open position.

radfordc

Postby johnnn » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:05 am

You can buy the mod from Airward. Here is the link: http://www.airward.com/amelia/search.as ... 835&id=844

John
johnnn

Postby Onex107 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:57 am

Mine looks just like Scott's but I added the extended notch by soldering the addition on to the original latch. I don't know how to post pictures but it looks the same. I used the aluminum solder that is sold in the Fly Market by the guy that shows you how to use it by soldering holes in beer cans.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby kmacht » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:02 pm

For those with a harbor freight near by they sell that same aluminum solder in the store. It is $14 for 8 sticks. Obviously not to be used for anything structural or critical but I have used it to patch some aluminum trailer fenders and it actually works good for what it is.

Keith
kmacht

Previous

Return to General Discussion