Portable cooling systems

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Portable cooling systems

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:30 am

Hi all,
Anyone interested in portable cooling for their sonex? Josh bardell had one in his sonex this year at oshkosh, he really liked it coming up from chicago and holding at ripon. He said he will post his home made unit cost about $100. I bought the smallest unit from artic air at osh2015. It wont fit in our waiex, close but just slightly too big. So that will go in our zenith cruzer. Looking for a smaller unit. New article in http://www.avweb.com on portable coolers. Looking at the B-Kool unit, it may fit. Anyone else try or running a cooler? Throw a couple cokes in there also at fuel stops to have a refreshement. And replenish the ice. Units usually last 2-3 hours, as ice melts, so good for sonex endurance. Weight shouldnt be a problem, as the unit has to be small to fit in the baggage area between the turtledeck cockpit ribs. 10 lbs empty, 30 pounds full.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Re: Portable cooling systems

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Neat article Michael and thanks for sharing. Like everyone else, I plan on making my own here soon and prefer the smaller cooler size like what Josh had at AirVenture. (No pressure on the plans Josh :lol: )

I'd be happy to make my own for $100 as opposed to buying a pre made one for $250 but that's just me!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi michael,
Yep will wait for josh's plans its about half the size and weight of the B-Kool unit , and a third of the cost. He just loved his ac unit, when he was showing me his plane. Josh please get those plans out so i can build up my unit before i head down to tucson early nov!! Its still hot down there .Thanks much!

Off topic from this thread, but had a coffee early morning with john , kerry, joe, jessica. Just a fun rambling morning chat at the flightline booth sunday last day of show. I asked whats next for a new airplane from sonex, john said what do you want! Kerry mentioned a upgraded moni, they get lots of interest. What would you folks like to see?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:43 pm

Someday I want to build a glider.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Bruce593SX » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Sonex four place!
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby vwglenn » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:45 am

Longex. Tandem Sonex.
Twoex. Tandem Onex.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby jjbardell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:47 am

I would love to see:
- A three place F1 style seating (pilot in the middle, two pax just behind to each side) Sonex with high speed wings and 800-1000 nm, a canopy that seals closed paired with 60 gal wing tanks, a UL 390 engine and a cruise of 230kt (i.e. - an RV killer). :D

My A/C blog is 95% complete. I will have the blog published on my site by Sunday! For those going to the Poplar Grove Pancake Breakfast, I will have it there for showing and you can take it out for a demo flight if you like.

You can subscribe to receive automatic notification of a/c blog by following me at:
https://sonexironman.wordpress.com/

Mike - Let me know if there are any issues with having my blog link on this thread. ;)
Building: [11323] Zenith 750 CruzerDuty27.5 / O-320 [Instagram Build Log: Zenith750CruzerSTOL]
N67LJ - Vans RV-9A #90504 (SOLD)
N83LJ - Sonex #0864 (SOLD)
https://rvpilotlife.wordpress.com/blog/home/
jjbardell

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:02 am

Hi josh!
Thanks so much for all your effort. We will look forward to your blog ! We will all be riding around in cool comfort! Yes this thread is great to post any info and will be in the site archieves for back reference.
I was thinking about about sonex's next plane. How about a moni with electric motor? Battery tech is rapidly evolving. A plane that could go in a trailer. Short or long wings. No hangar rent. Easy remove wings. Very quiet operation of electric motor. Easy to build fast build kit. All alum construction, pop rivet, prebuilt spars. Cnc precut and all holes drilled to final size. Single manuel retractable like a europa with outrigger wheels. Big mono wheel to land on grass strips. Easy remove battery packs to replace and go fly right away. Fast chg old ones. Liteweight, min inst., precut vinyl wrap from sonex in many colors to choose from. Tip up front hinged canopy that locks up for ventilation when taxiing. Straight or vtail? . Keep weight down. Prop that feathers or folds forward when not in motion. Winglets. Tailwheel. Retract outrigger wheels. Center stick or sidestick? Single or two seat tandum? 2 seat would be great!
Ive hijacked my own thread.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby jerryhain » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:35 pm

4 place or 2place w lots baggage, better range
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi all, josh,
Thanks josh !! Just looked at your blog. Thanks for posting now we can all get to work on our portable cooling units. Just clicking on the parts items takes you directly to the amazon link to purchase.
Have fun at the poplar grove fly in sunday the 21 august.
Any one interested reading a book on poplar grove airport, a book i picked up at airventure this year titled 'Private Wings '. By Paul Wallem'. Bantry Bay Books /chicago $16.95

Thanks again josh we all owe you a cold beer.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Next

Return to General Discussion