Medical Reform Passes!

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Medical Reform Passes!

Postby DCASonex » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:04 am

One note of caution: If had been out of flying for a few years before getting back in under Sport Pilot rules looks like must have passed a medical within last 10 years to qualify. Another downer for some will be that this will knock down the market value of many LSA aircraft. Sonex is unique enough that may not have as much negative impact, but likely will have some as it competes with larger used aircraft.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby fastj22 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:14 am

Fastcapy wrote:Ok, one other thing that I am kind of wondering about with this bill is how many of the general practice M.D's will not want to sign the form fearing liability. I have not heard anything about any kind of verbiage releasing them from liability if they sign it which may make some leery of signing it. Or they just are not quite aware of what it is and not want to sign it.

My understanding the MD doesn't sign anything. The airman just makes a logbook entry noting the visit.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:20 am

Fastcapy wrote:I am happy about it but I wonder what it will do to values of light sport aircraft.

Granted this will not cause a drop in value like the original text of just getting rid of the medical outright would have caused, but I still have a feeling that this will cause a drop in the value of LSA's because people who were buying a LSA fearing not passing their medical renewal now don't have that worry. I know 2 Sonex owners who sold their RV's and bought a Sonex for that very reason, so that is the one thing I am concerned about with this bill.

I don't think the value of LSA aircraft will be impacted. There will still be a population of sport pilots who are restricted to them. However, the value of certified aircraft will probably go up slightly as many more pilots will be able to fly them again. I know of a lot of aging pilots who dread the medical and have sold their planes because its just not worth it. These guys will now continue to fly and they have the disposable income to collect a few.
If you are a new student pilot, you will still need to get a medical one time to go for your private. However, a sport pilot student doesn't.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby Fastcapy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:17 am

fastj22 wrote:
Fastcapy wrote:Ok, one other thing that I am kind of wondering about with this bill is how many of the general practice M.D's will not want to sign the form fearing liability. I have not heard anything about any kind of verbiage releasing them from liability if they sign it which may make some leery of signing it. Or they just are not quite aware of what it is and not want to sign it.

My understanding the MD doesn't sign anything. The airman just makes a logbook entry noting the visit.

Yes, the doc MUST sign the checklist. It is in the text of the bill.

(C) a section, for the physician to complete, that instructs the physician—

(iv) to sign the checklist, stating: “I certify that I discussed all items on this checklist with the individual during my examination, discussed any medications the individual is taking that could interfere with their ability to safely operate an aircraft or motor vehicle, and performed an examination that included all of the items on this checklist. I certify that I am not aware of any medical condition that, as presently treated, could interfere with the individual's ability to safely operate an aircraft.”; and

(v) to provide the date the comprehensive medical examination was completed, and the physician's full name, address, telephone number, and State medical license number.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... A55380AF26

It is section 2307 if you want to read the full thing.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Fastcapy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:21 am

fastj22 wrote:
Fastcapy wrote:I am happy about it but I wonder what it will do to values of light sport aircraft.

Granted this will not cause a drop in value like the original text of just getting rid of the medical outright would have caused, but I still have a feeling that this will cause a drop in the value of LSA's because people who were buying a LSA fearing not passing their medical renewal now don't have that worry. I know 2 Sonex owners who sold their RV's and bought a Sonex for that very reason, so that is the one thing I am concerned about with this bill.

I don't think the value of LSA aircraft will be impacted. There will still be a population of sport pilots who are restricted to them. However, the value of certified aircraft will probably go up slightly as many more pilots will be able to fly them again. I know of a lot of aging pilots who dread the medical and have sold their planes because its just not worth it. These guys will now continue to fly and they have the disposable income to collect a few.
If you are a new student pilot, you will still need to get a medical one time to go for your private. However, a sport pilot student doesn't.

I disagree, I think there will be a value drop. Because like you said, those people who had a medical 10 years ago and felt they would only qualify for light sport and hence buy a LSA will now just buy a non LSA. Like you said it will increase the price of the non LSA's but in turn that will drop the value of an LSA. Yes there are people who still will need them which is what I said in my post, so they won't drop as much as a drivers license medical would ave done but there will be less demand for LSA's now that the people who are within 10 years have an option other than LSA.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby fastj22 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:19 am

I think amateur built experimental LSA aircraft values will be unaffected by this. They are about as low as they will go now. Now your expensive SLSA stuff, sure. Why buy a $130k LSA when you can get a used Cirrus for the same price.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby vwglenn » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:25 am

It's certainly going to hurt the LSA resale market initially. The cost of LSAs will go down and the certified variety will go up. What I see is the potential for LSA manufacturers to modify their designs to take advantage of the new rules. Many of these planes are tamed down to stay LSA compliant. Could a legacy model 3300 powered Sonex be capable of a substantial speed increase with an aggressively pitched prop? The new B models have a lot more room under the hood to make more power as well.

I'm already witnessing a drop in the asking prices of Sonex aircraft since I bought mine two years ago. You couldn't find a 3300 powered Sonex listed for much less than 35K then. Now I see them for starting around 30K pretty regularly. I think the drop is partially due to the B model introduction but also the pending legislation. People who might be in the market for an LSA now are simply sitting on their hands to see what happens.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby samiam » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:35 am

Purely my two cents -

When LSA passed, the biggest impacted segment were the legacy airplanes that became LSA eligible. Champ prices soared. I think this will be the segment to be affected the most. I don't see the newer/higher end LSA market having any great impact. I also don't see C-150 prices soaring given that the supply is very high.
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby dhogue » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:29 pm

The President signed this reform into law today.
The 1 year clock is running.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-and- ... VvQ1g0PSJ9
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby fastj22 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:48 pm

vwglenn wrote:It's certainly going to hurt the LSA resale market initially. The cost of LSAs will go down and the certified variety will go up. What I see is the potential for LSA manufacturers to modify their designs to take advantage of the new rules. Many of these planes are tamed down to stay LSA compliant. Could a legacy model 3300 powered Sonex be capable of a substantial speed increase with an aggressively pitched prop? The new B models have a lot more room under the hood to make more power as well.

I'm already witnessing a drop in the asking prices of Sonex aircraft since I bought mine two years ago. You couldn't find a 3300 powered Sonex listed for much less than 35K then. Now I see them for starting around 30K pretty regularly. I think the drop is partially due to the B model introduction but also the pending legislation. People who might be in the market for an LSA now are simply sitting on their hands to see what happens.

The drop in jab powered Sonex prices in the past few years was caused by the controversy on the reliability raised by the Australian authorities. And jabirus response to them. I hope it recovers but there's a bad vibe in jabs right now.

John Gillis
fastj22

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion