Mini Sump Oil Change

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Mini Sump Oil Change

Postby gammaxy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:08 am

Does the pick up tube fit down inside the filter???? Should the pick up tube slide inside?

The pick up tube should fit through the hole in the top of the filter. It sounds like you're saying yours doesn't fit even without the rubber seal in place. I imagine the solution will be to drill out the hole in the top of the filter so it will fit being careful to catch or clean out any chips in the process. Does the grommet with the bypass valve fit in the other hole?
Last edited by gammaxy on Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby vwglenn » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:08 pm

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 13-17-2872

If you want to save a hundred bucks.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby SonexN369UR » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for the info. The filter does NOT fit over (down into filter) on either side. I will enlarge one of the filter holes as you suggest. It JUST DIDN"T SEEM RIGHT!

Again Thank you all!
JACK
SonexN369UR

Postby pfhoeycfi » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:44 pm

Rynoth wrote:I concur that Chris' installation fits what I did per the Aerovee 2.1 installation manual and his quote of the manual. Page 40 of this document: http://www.aeroconversions.com/support/ ... Manual.pdf

I agree Chris, that the fitment of the pickup seal seemed questionable at best. Just getting the mini-sump pressed deep enough to engage the nuts on the threads took a lot of pressure, and the seal seemed to fit pretty cockeyed. The bottom diameter of the seal doesn't match the recess in the filter. If I recall, I replaced the studs in the case with longer studs in the sump hardware kit (this is not called for in the plans) just to make it easier to get the nuts on.

I haven't yet changed my oil for the first time. When I do so I imagine I'll initially drain the sump oil from the oil return line from my oil separator (or the plug that would otherwise connect to this line) before removing the mini-sump. Still probably a messy process.

Did you end up modifying your upper seal to make the fit better? My upper seal sits on the pickup tube so crooked & loose you would think its not made for this purpose...and there is no way its going to sit flat or flush on the filter...the seal just doesn't appear that it was made to go with the filter...very odd.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Rynoth » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:04 am

pfhoeycfi wrote:Did you end up modifying your upper seal to make the fit better? My upper seal sits on the pickup tube so crooked & loose you would think its not made for this purpose...and there is no way its going to sit flat or flush on the filter...the seal just doesn't appear that it was made to go with the filter...very odd.

Yes actually, I chamfered the bottom of the oil seal to fit better into the top of the filter. This both made a better seal, and made the sump easier to install by reducing some of the spring pressure when fitting the sump.

Some discussion on the topic here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2567&p=19279&hilit=chamfer#p19264
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Area 51% » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Has anybody measured how much oil this sump holds? Looks like about a cup. It would be nice to be able to dump in the whole 3 quarts.
Area 51%

Postby flyingbear » Tue May 04, 2021 4:50 pm

My upper seal sits on the pickup tube so crooked & loose you would think its not made for this purpose...and there is no way its going to sit flat or flush on the filter...the seal just doesn't appear that it was made to go with the filter...very odd.

This is exactly what I am seeing. Not a flush fit at all and does NOT seem to be the proper seal. This looks to be a VERY poorly engineered product. Any suggestions?????
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Postby flyingbear » Tue May 04, 2021 4:53 pm

How does one even know the oil is going through the filter. ??????
I am getting about 60 psi on startup which does NOT vary with RPM......something is wrong there. THEN my oil temp goes up to 250 and my oil pressure gradually, over ten min. of operation, drops to 11 psi regardless of rpm.
I cleaned my oil pressure plungers and passageways with no change.
Help .....I am lost here.
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:30 pm

The mini-sump comes with a re-usable filter and I was wondering what solution builders are using to clean this filter with?

peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby Area 51% » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:40 pm

It's just a really fine metal screen. Gasoline works about as well as anything.
Area 51%

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee