Sonex B models

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sonex B models

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:16 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:So, I just realized there is no Xenos B model. Are they already bigger?

I certainly don't speak for the factory but if I were to guess, the Xenos has such a small niche on the market they just don't sell that many kits. There's really no cost benefit for a design update; in fact, I don't think the Xenos kit was revised to include the "matched-hole" offering the Sonex and Waiex kits received several years ago.

My guess is the Xenos will continue in its current, A model state, at least for the immediate future.

Just my guess though!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby mike.smith » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:47 am

DCASonex wrote:Have recommended Electric flaps to Sonex many times as safety measure

I have to say I've never understood electric flaps or trim in a Sonex. If you want to do dual flight a center flap handle (same as the Warriors I used to fly) is simple and not prone to failure (as in electrical failure, wire failure, switch failure, etc). If you don't want to enable full dual control flight the basic flap handle is, again, dirt simple and not prone to failure. And the stock Sonex trim is also dirt simple, FAST, infinitely adjustable, and not prone to failure (as in electrical failure, wire failure, switch failure, etc). I don't see any safety in making these things electric. After flying aircraft with electric flaps and trim, and flying my Sonex for a couple of years, I would never consider changing the flap handle or trim if I were to build again. If I were building a B model I'd look to build with the A model flaps and trim.

Just my opinion, and not looking to pick a fight :-)
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:25 am

Mike, Was not advocating for the electric trim either, like the original simple lever just fine. Very quick and easy to adjust, and as have mentioned here before, if there were a way to allow pilots with less than gorilla length arms to reach a manual the flap lever with should belts tight, that would also satisfy my safety concerns, electric flaps was just the quickest and easiest way for me to achieve that.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby mike.smith » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:03 pm

DCASonex wrote:Mike, Was not advocating for the electric trim either, like the original simple lever just fine. Very quick and easy to adjust, and as have mentioned here before, if there were a way to allow pilots with less than gorilla length arms to reach a manual the flap lever with should belts tight, that would also satisfy my safety concerns, electric flaps was just the quickest and easiest way for me to achieve that.

David A.

I don't think I have gorilla arms ;-) !!

When I was retrofitting the Sonex hydraulic brakes I found that I could no longer use the brake handle as a parking brake by putting the handle in the forward flap detent; it didn't reach. So I made a new handle that was angled back toward the pilot to so it will get into the detent. I wonder if it's possible (I'd have to look at the geometry of the handle and the spar tunnel with full flaps) to do something like that with the top 1/4 of the standard flap handle, to make it easier to reach. Here is my brake handle:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 9552&row=5
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:45 am

Mike,

Brake handle looks good. I briefly tried mounting an offset extension handle to the flap lever, but quickly found that to be less than ideal as lacked control in engaging notches, but if something like your design was used, together with relocation the notched bar, might get the job done.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby kmacht » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:37 pm

When I installed hydraulic brakes on my Sonex I used a stick grip master cylinder. For a parking break I have a rubber band that goes around the stick and brake lever. Super simple, inexpensive and light. I also like the stick grip as it allows me to have control of the throttle, brakes, and control surfaces without having to move my hands off of anything. Being able to give a short burst of power on rollout or a quick jab of the brakes without having to move my hands when I find myself suddenly heading for the weeds is a really nice feature.

Keith
kmacht

Postby ldmill » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:21 pm

I'm installing electric flaps in my Waiex-A model right now. Had surgery to repair multiple torn carpal ligaments and just don't have the strength in the left wrist to pull the flaps on/off at pattern speeds above about 75mph. More complicated- but at least I Won't be potentially re-injuring myself.
Lorin
ldmill

Postby fastj22 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 pm

I've had electric flaps in my Waiex for over 150 hours and love them. A toggle on the panel acuates them. Mom-off-on toggle. Go around is real simple, just flip the switch up. Approaching final, I have infinite control of them to descend, just a quick touch down on the toggle. Maybe added 3 lbs.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby NWade » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:48 am

fastj22 wrote:I've had electric flaps in my Waiex for over 150 hours and love them.

Are you using a linear-actuator? Have the model/part number handy?

Thanks!

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Postby DCASonex » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:40 pm

Noel, and anyone else interested,

Have about 240 hours on my electric flaps, and have drawings and photos posted on old Yahoo Sonex Builder's forum, or can e-mail those direct, but no way to attach to a private message.

David A. Sonex TD # 1327
DCASonex

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion