bearing races on Azusa wheels?

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Greetings,

I was installing my hydraulic brakes and wheels yesterday, and noticed that the dust shields that go outside of the bearings were well above the side of the wheel. If this is not flush with the wheel, of course it won't stop dust and dirt from getting in, and it won't stop grease from getting out onto the disc on the inboard side.

The only instructions I could find for installing the wheel nut said to snug the nut to seat the bearings, then back off until free. With very little force (not close to snug in my opinion), the bearing races appeared to be pushed inward, and the dust cover was flush on the outboard side. That seemed like what was intended, but the inboard side ends up not moving because it hits the piston/pucks instead. My plan is to install some spacer washers between the caliper and bearing, so the inboard races will be seated far enough into the wheel to make the dust cover flush and actually snug the bolt.

The question I have is whether anyone else has seen this. Sonex Tech said they have not run into this issue, but I'm pretty sure I've read reports of the races not being seated in these wheels. They also said you should never tighten the nut enough to move the races, but that seems wrong if the races aren't in the right position to begin with.

Happy Holidays,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (145 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: bearing races on Azusa wheels?

Postby fastj22 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Make sure the races are completely seated into the hubs. There should zero gap on the back side of the race. I used a large socket and tapped mine home with a small hammer. They change pitch when they get fully seated. You could use a press, but you won't get that ring when you get them seated.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:11 pm

That makes sense. This might be something good for Sonex to add to the instructions, since I'm sure it's better than pushing them with the bearings like I did. When I have the wheels off to install the spacers, I'll drive the races in as you suggest.

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby SNX1508 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:55 am

I asked Sonex tech support about the bearing races not being pressed all of the way into the wheels, they said this is normal.....

Terry

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 8:55:05 +0000
To: Sonex Technical Support <tech@sonexaircraft.com>
Subject: Azusa Wheel Bearings

Good morning,

Question on the Azusa wheels & bearings. Must the inner bearing races be pressed into the wheel so that they are against the shoulder? As received the races are not pressed all of the way in.

Thank you,

Terry L. Cooper
Sonex #1508

Hello Terry,

Your description of your wheel sounds normal. The bearing races are not pressed deeply into the wheel. So long as the race does not protrude from the wheel they are deep enough.
--
Sonex Technical Support
Terry
Sonex #1508
N296SX
AeroVee #0736
Tail Dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/SNX1508
SNX1508

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:18 am

I just can't see leaving them as they were. The outer side of the bearing was sticking out of the recess in the wheel by at least 1/16", which makes the dust shield useless. It took very little force to move them, and I can easily see them moving in actual use. Mine are getting driven all the way in, and shimmed as needed.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby DCASonex » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:51 am

Press them in either on arbor press, or by a long bolt through the bore. Either way make sure that you work on only one half the wheel at a time and that pressure is applied only to the outer race. A large socket that just fits the bore often makes a good tool to push on the race. If using an arbor press, make sure wheel HUB is backed up and that you are not stressing the web of the wheel. If you do not press them all the way in, they will walk in on their own and leave wheel flopping about on the axle and you will have drilled the axle for the nut's cotter pin in the wrong location.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby mike.smith » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:29 pm

fastj22 wrote:Make sure the races are completely seated into the hubs. There should zero gap on the back side of the race. I used a large socket and tapped mine home with a small hammer. They change pitch when they get fully seated. You could use a press, but you won't get that ring when you get them seated.

Me, too. This worked well. The dust shield really should not be proud of the bearing races.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:47 pm

My spacers arrived today, and I pulled the wheels to finish driving the races in. The outer races were already bottomed out due to tightening the nut the other day, but the inside races weren't able to push in due to the fact that the brake disc bottomed out the pistons/pucks in the caliper. With the wheel off, it was easy to drive the inner races in. Adding a 1/8" spacer between the caliper and bearing works perfectly, and now the brakes are not bottomed out. The dust shields are now flush, and the races can't walk. This is how it should be :-)

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby mike.smith » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:58 pm

13brv3 wrote:My spacers arrived today, and I pulled the wheels to finish driving the races in. The outer races were already bottomed out due to tightening the nut the other day, but the inside races weren't able to push in due to the fact that the brake disc bottomed out the pistons/pucks in the caliper. With the wheel off, it was easy to drive the inner races in. Adding a 1/8" spacer between the caliper and bearing works perfectly, and now the brakes are not bottomed out. The dust shields are now flush, and the races can't walk. This is how it should be :-)

I also had to add a fat washer for a spacer when I changed to the hydraulic brakes.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:55 pm

Same here. I added a thick washer for spacing with my hydraulic brakes.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Next