Map

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Map

Postby Rynoth » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:48 pm

On page 46 of the turbo manual (http://www.aeroconversions.com/support/ ... Manual.pdf), step #8, it describes setting up the wastegate actuator as follows:

"Adjust the actuator's pushrod so it JUST holds the wastegate in the closed position, but also has no end play."

I take this to mean just enough pre-load to fully press the wastegate closed and take up all slack between the wastegate and the spring, without actually compressing the spring.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby wlarson861 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:07 am

Ok so for my bad. I didn't get a stop nut for the waste gate actuator in my kit. I thought that since the end was captured at the waste gate end the stop nut was unneeded. I was wrong. I put the stop nut on the actuator and the engine performed as advertised. I feel stupid at this point but will continue to test the turbo further. I don't understand how the actuator really works but this seems to have worked for now. I had to go back to the manual to see the jamb nut and then go buy one from the local hardware store. By the way its a 6mm by .75 metric nut. I didn't realize that the shaft of the actuator could turn when the engine was in flight. I'll try to fly more to confirm my fix is complete. Today's flight was a blast going out at 40'in of MAPin climb and cruising at 30.9 and seeing around 140 mph true
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Rynoth » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 am

wlarson861 wrote: I don't understand how the actuator really works but this seems to have worked for now.

Basically, there's a plunger with spring pressure on one side, and manifold air pressure on the other side (via the line connected directly to the compressor side of the turbo.) When manifold pressure reaches a certain point (~44psi), it overcomes the pressure of the spring and the plunger gets depressed, opening the wastegate via the actuator arm. This also happens to be why excessively pre-loading the spring will actually raise the manifold pressure required for the actuator to engage (more spring pressure = more manifold pressure required to move the plunger,) therefore more maximum boost pressure and less safety margin.

I imagine that the plunger itself can rotate within the housing, which is how the actuator arm rotated during flight without a lock nut. Seems like a smoking gun, I bet you've solved it!
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby wlarson861 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Another test flight today and it performed as advertised.
Bill Larson
N861SX
wlarson861

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:44 pm

marsolgp wrote:By the way Bill, I went ahead and installed a 'vent grate' in my cowling above the turbo, to let heat out after landing….. works good and no ill effects during flight.

Do you by chance have a picture of this Geary? I'm interested in what you've done. I haven't had any ill effects on mine but the cowling does get pretty warm on shut down on my engine.

Also, how do you like the VG's on your airplane? Any noticeable effects?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby wlarson861 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:36 am

I really love this conversion now that I figured out the details. I was getting the low power benefits but now I get the high power stuff too. Now all we need is for Sonex to come out with a retro fit auxiliary fuel tank so we can go 3.5 hours with 45 min. reserve. I want to go places now that I can go fast!!!! Hope to get to Crossville this year since I have not made it since 2012.
Bill Larson
N861SX
wlarson861

Postby marsolgp » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:27 am

Mike, I've sent you a PM to answer your question and attached a couple photos of the vents. I still haven't had any luck posting photos here, so feel free to repost photos if anyone else is interested.
G. Marsolais
Waiex w/Turbo Aerovee
Rotec TBI, Sensenich Climb Prop
MGL Xtreme EFIS & EMS
A/P, iFly720 w/ADS-B
marsolgp

Postby Brett » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:58 pm

wlarson861 wrote: Now all we need is for Sonex to come out with a retro fit auxiliary fuel tank so we can go 3.5 hours with 45 min. reserve. I want to go places now that I can go fast!!!!

That would be great to have a factory approved additional sub tank. Even if limited to one passenger for those long treks.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:43 pm

If anyone wants to see Geary's new cowling vents, here are a few pics. This is a great idea and I will probably be doing the same thing here soon!

Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby marsolgp » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks Mike for posting pictures….. for anyone curious, the vent on the LH cowl is over my MGL RDAC. This was actually my main reason for the vents, the RDAC would give me some crazy CHT reading (700 + degrees F), on the ground only, after the compartment got heat soaked. This has solved that issue and has got to be beneficial for other electrical components that are 'trapped' in this oven after shutdown (ignition coils and triggers especially).
G. Marsolais
Waiex w/Turbo Aerovee
Rotec TBI, Sensenich Climb Prop
MGL Xtreme EFIS & EMS
A/P, iFly720 w/ADS-B
marsolgp

PreviousNext

Return to Aerovee