Sight Tube.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Re: Sight Tube.

Postby NWade » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:48 am

Although it's another item to wear out and another set of fittings to possibly leak... ;-P Everything is a trade-off!
NWade

Postby vwglenn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:47 am

NWade wrote:Although it's another item to wear out and another set of fittings to possibly leak... ;-P Everything is a trade-off!

Also true. It's a vicious circle.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby mike.smith » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:53 am

DCASonex wrote: I had sight tube routed along edge of panel and down side of fuselage. gave readings for bottom of tank. BUT I removed it after two years when found tubing had gotten so hard it was brittle. It actually snapped in half when removing it. My Princeton prob has worked well connected to the GRT Sport SX, but I use only Avgas, and the red cube flow sensor into same Sport SX has also been reliable so no longer saw need for sight tube that looked to present its own hazards.

Are you sure it was fuel line? I made the mistake the first time, of using something I thought was clear fuel line. Luckily I put a piece of it in a glass jar of 100LL at the same time. A month later it had turned slightly yellow, and had become hard and brittle. It was NOT fuel line! So I took it off the airplane (I was still building at the time), and bought "real" clear fuel line. I have had a test piece submerged in fuel in that glass jar now for about 18 months. I take it out every now and then to check it. It's perfectly clear, and just as flexible as the day I bought it. If it's the real thing, it should last quite a long time.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:40 am

Mine was in place with for three years, two with fuel, before I found it had hardened in spots, Was stiff full length, but very brittle only in some spots. Was worst where I had line covered with ACS's blue fire-sleeve, but that included where it came off bottom of tank and was most vulnerable to damage. I use avgas only and where it had gotten most brittle, it had also turned or was stained a shade of blue. Might have been wrong material, or might have replaced it with same, and been good for another couple of years, but just did not see the need to have that additional potential failure point in there.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby gammaxy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:04 pm

daleandee wrote:I really considered what Sonex did here:

A nice slot in the panel to see the tank through. Perhaps a light on the rear of the panel with a momentary contact switch to see the level with ...

Dale
N319WF

I really like the elegance of the slot with light idea. On a recent long cross-country flight I used my camera to take pictures of the tank to cross-check my gauge. It seemed to work pretty well. My main caution is that individual pictures might not capture if the fuel is sloshing.

Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby vwglenn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:26 am

After sitting in the plane and pondering fuel for some time (also cleaning up wiring).

1. Just bending over to look at the tank is out.
2. Installing a mirror on the copilot side under the panel might work but the mirror I was using at the time is broken and I can't see enough of the tank with it to tell if it would work. Then there's the problem of checking the fuel with a passenger aboard and writing numbers backwards so they're clear in a mirror.
3. I could make a little door on top of my panel to pop open so I can peek at the tank while in flight. That might require an LED installed somewhere so I can see.
4. Possible peep hole in the front of the panel too. but I think my EFIS it too deep to get a clear shot of the tank that way.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby Rynoth » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:31 am

What about carrying a small hand-held mirror in the airplane? Maybe in combination with a small light, either a flashlight or a light mounted on the back of the panel?
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby daleandee » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Last edited by daleandee on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby Rynoth » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:59 pm

Neat idea Dale!

Or, if using a cell phone, rather than take photos of the tank, take a video of the tank for a few seconds, then watch it.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:51 pm

Or if you mount your ipad on the panel, drill a hole under the camera.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion