Sight Tube.

Use this area for aviation related general discussions, newsworthy items, and non model specific topics.

Sight Tube.

Postby vwglenn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Hey guys. I've been working on my panel and wanted to know what the deal is with the sight tube. I'm not a fan. It seems hard to read and I can't imagine it's all that accurate. I have an Enigma that probably has provisions for some sort of fuel probe but I've never trusted fuel gauges. Can I eliminate it (sight tube) and just mark the tank?

Pros? Cons? Ideas?
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Re: Sight Tube.

Postby gammaxy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:49 pm

I have a capacitive probe on my Enigma that seems to work pretty well.

I also marked the tank and check it before and after each flight. I can see the last few gallons during flight if I lean over a little. I wonder if it would be possible to read the fuel level in the mid-range using a small mirror?

Why don't you think it's accurate? The plans show creating a small orifice to prevent fuel from sloshing too much in the tube. I would think once you did that it would be at least as accurate as eyeballing the tank and much more convenient.

If I were to build another Sonex, there's a good chance I'd consider installing a sight gauge as long as I could run the tube low enough to see the last few gallons.
Last edited by gammaxy on Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby vwglenn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:11 pm

gammaxy wrote:Why you don't think it's accurate?

Well, the way mine is set up, the sight tube is only good until there are 6 gallons left in the tank. That's the point at which the fuel gets too low to read. I was always trained to never trust a fuel gauge and I've always relied more on a timer and fuel burn. I can see the sight tube being useful as a backup of sorts in case there is some fuel leak. But, other than that, I don't think it's needed if I can actually put eyes on the tank itself. And then there's also the fact that the tube is making two passes though the panel wiring just to give me that sight picture.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:31 pm

I am considering making a fuel level sight tube. I have seen some neat, enclosed examples on line. The EAA Sweepstakes Piper Cub has a neat looking sight tube that I might use as a model. You can see a picture in this month's EAA Sport Aviation. Mine would be covered by an aluminum tube and have a cut out on one side to see the fuel level in the tube and a restrictor to prevent sloshing. I just am not comfortable with the Belite Fuel Level gauge and Princeton fuel level probe that I have. I am getting erratic readings. Plus, I am getting some seepage from the bottom of the Princeton fuel probe that I do not like. I time my flights and look underneath the panel to verify fuel level, but it would be nice to have an accurate sight tube. I plan on always landing with at least 4 gallons in the tank.

Thanks,

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby radfordc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:17 pm

The way the tank is setup the sight tube needs to run down in front of the panel if you want to be able to see the last 5 gals or so. Not ideal, but in my case necessary as I was never able to get the probe and EIS to read accurately and consistently. I wrapped colored tape around the tube at the 4, 8, and 12 gal. marks to get a good idea of how much fuel was remaining.
radfordc

Postby GWMotley » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:55 pm

Since this was started with the question of doing a sight tube or not I thought I would offer an opinion. I do not use a sight tube. I found that the Princeton fuel probe is unreliable and keeps falling out of calibration. Plus different fuels equal different reading. I have been flying with a fuel flow meter and the virtual tank setting on my Xtreme and consistently find the accuracy remarkable. It consistently reads within a half gallon of what I put back in the tank. No need to worry what type of fuel used. No extra fuel lines to worry about either.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby daleandee » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:05 am

Last edited by daleandee on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby Tony Lewis » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:19 am

I have a Flight Data Systems F C 10 that uses the FT 60 and gives fuel flow very accurately down to the tenth of a gallon. And gallons remaining etc.

It is a stand alone unit and does not work with glass panels but it is very much worth the money. I removed the fuel probe that worked with my EIS and thru it into the garbage can.

Just for info for anyone that wants an accurate fuel gauge

No K factors to set..

Tony Lewis

N447XL

Jab 3300
Tony Lewis

Postby vwglenn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:00 am

I would be OK with the site tube if it registered three or four gallons. Then it would serve some panic button type purpose. To be honest though, I just don't see the point if the lowest it will register in my plane is 6. That's closer to 1/2 a tank than empty.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:11 am

vwglenn wrote:I would be OK with the site tube if it registered three or four gallons. Then it would serve some panic button type purpose. To be honest though, I just don't see the point if the lowest it will register in my plane is 6. That's closer to 1/2 a tank than empty.

Thats what I realized when I had installed the as plans sight tube and started flying. I removed it simply because it provided no benefit and increased failure modes. Down the front hanging below the panel might work better, or just ducking your head under the panel to see the tank would work as well.
I use an FT60 flow transducer and my MGL xTreme fuel totalizer with great results. (However the first one lasted only 100 hours) The Princeton probe died after I used MoGas. The Belite fuel level transducer is incompatible with the MGL. I also use a timer as a backup. And a calibrated dip stick during pre-flight.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Next

Return to General Discussion