some control decisions to make

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

some control decisions to make

Postby grevaly » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:48 am

I am close to finishing my 2.0 aerovee engine assy. I have all of my avionics and engine instruments. During the course of the winter
I would like to have the insrument panel and engine mounting finished. I am still trying to decide if I want the
throttle in the center or on the left side panel. If it is in the center, do the flap and brakes need to be center mounted as well.
Push pull throttle, or the sonex pull type? I would like a button type mixture control, any suggestions on one that works well? Are lever type circuit breaker switches ok vs breakers or fuses?
Mark #1242
Mark Conner
Sonex Std Gear Aerovee #1242
Mostly Plans Built
grevaly

Re: some control decisions to make

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:54 am

Mark,
A lot of it is personal preference, but I believe you need to pull to open at the throttle for an aerocarb. If you use a Cessna type throttle then you will need a reversing linkage. Regarding switch breakers, they are a good way to save panel space. I used them in my C140 restoration in my previous life.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:25 pm

As far as "human factors" go, it's definitely advisable to have the throttle, flaps, and brakes all accessible with the same hand. This way you can operate everything without having to take your hand off of the yoke. Imagine doing a touch-and-go in a gusty crosswind, having to dance your hands around to move the flaps and throttle while maintaining yoke inputs to keep the plane on centerline.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby wlarson861 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:32 pm

I originally had center throttle and mixture with left side flap and brake. Kerry saw the picture after my first flight and emailed me. He said they believe all the controls should be on the same side. Either all on left for right hand stick or all in the center for left hand stick right hand throttle (my preference). I moved the flap and brake to the center and it is much easier to control. I did however leave the trim on the side wall but its not an issue there. I usually adjust it with my right hand.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby daleandee » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Last edited by daleandee on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby mike.smith » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:26 pm

grevaly wrote:I am close to finishing my 2.0 aerovee engine assy. I have all of my avionics and engine instruments. During the course of the winter
I would like to have the insrument panel and engine mounting finished. I am still trying to decide if I want the
throttle in the center or on the left side panel. If it is in the center, do the flap and brakes need to be center mounted as well.
Mark #1242

As someone who flew the vast majority of his hours in 172's and Piper Warriors, with all the controls in the center, at my right hand, I can honestly say that transitioning to all the controls on the left side (Citabria, Decathalon, Cub, and now my Sonex) took about 15 minutes. Your mileage may vary, but I found it a non-issue. But definitely the controls should all be in the same location, no matter which one you choose.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:12 pm

Rynoth wrote:As far as "human factors" go, it's definitely advisable to have the throttle, flaps, and brakes all accessible with the same hand. This way you can operate everything without having to take your hand off of the yoke. Imagine doing a touch-and-go in a gusty crosswind, having to dance your hands around to move the flaps and throttle while maintaining yoke inputs to keep the plane on centerline.

As a longtime CFI, I completely agree with Ryan on this one. Choose whatever you'd like but a wise choice is to design your layout so you can have one hand on the stick and the other hand can manipulate throttle, mixture, flaps, brake, etc. A very wise safety choice.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby grevaly » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:27 pm

Thanks for your advise, I will be carefull to make it simple, everything I have flown before was left hand on the yoke the rt hand did everything else. If I went to center throttle, is it difficult to move brakes and flaps to the center and does that location take away leg room?
Any suggestions for a mixture control? I was thinking of something with a button type lock,
Mark Conner
Sonex Std Gear Aerovee #1242
Mostly Plans Built
grevaly

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:43 am

I just purchased the A700 mixture control from aircraft spruce. Red knob with push button lock.
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Return to Sonex