Local or Regional Transition Training

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Sonex.

Re: Local or Regional Transition Training

Postby rizzz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:43 pm

ihab wrote:
Sonex1517 wrote:So Ihab, you are willing to construct and maintain such a database? And fund this mass mailing campaign? Oh, and create the stuff we would send?

I think Sonex is the only one who knows who all their customers are. I hope it would not be too expensive for them to send a letter to each one. The letter could ask them to go to a Website and register there (rides, plane for hire, instructor) and keep their registration up to date.

I am able to help with the tool selection and, to a reasonable extent, with the programming. I will start ASAP to look into what would be the most appropriate tool (Google Apps Script, Google App Engine, ...) for this. Please contact me directly if you'd like to talk more.

Ihab

Sonex Aircraft LLC recently moved away from running company moderated forums indicating they want to leave such responsibilities to Sonex customers/pilots/builders so they can focus on their main business: selling, developing and supporting Sonex aircraft.
Your proposal would again be a step in the opposite direction again so it is unlikely, at least in my view, Sonex Aircraft LLC would take up such a task.

Sonexbuilders.net and/or the Sonex Builders and pilots foundation would be the only other appropriate instance to take on such an endeavour but I understand they are already resource constrained as it is.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Gripdana » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:08 am

Before I found the sonex plans I was going through CFI training. I got my Advance Ground Instructor rating. The decision to build was a "impulse buy" I spent 20 minutes on the internet doing research and jumped in. So the CFI money went into the build. That said now that I am close to finishing my plane I have been thinking about finishing the CFI and getting an LODA. I am located in the Los Angeles area. Hopefully by mid 2016 depending on my work schedule.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:19 am

ihab wrote: Planes available for free non-instructional rides for familiarization;

This already exists, in a basic form. use the builder locator on the Sonex website:

http://builder.sonexaircraft.com/cgi-bin/search.pl

ihab wrote: Planes with a LODA available for hire with an instructor;

This exists as well, but not strictly for Sonex:

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-comm ... da-holders

Sonex is working with the FAA and EAA to get this list updated. Hopefully it will be up-to-date soon.

ihab wrote: Instructors willing to instruct on said planes.

As it relates specifically to Sonex, this is the only thing that doesn't exist at this time. Maybe the foundation could put out the call via an entry on the website asking for all instructors to "check in" and let us know they are available. Might get a few names on the list anyway.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:23 am

Gripdana wrote:.... now that I am close to finishing my plane I have been thinking about finishing the CFI and getting an LODA. I am located in the Los Angeles area. Hopefully by mid 2016 depending on my work schedule.

That would be fantastic! I encourage you to pursue this goal. We would love to have a Sonex LODA holder on the west coast. That would make Sonex training much more available to folks out west. Good luck and Godspeed!!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby fastj22 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:38 am

There was a fellow who had a LODA a few years ago for his sonex based in Florida in the winter and Illinois in the summer. I misplaced his website link and not sure if he's still doing it. Anyone remember him?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby daleandee » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:55 am

fastj22 wrote:There was a fellow who had a LODA a few years ago for his sonex based in Florida in the winter and Illinois in the summer. I misplaced his website link and not sure if he's still doing it. Anyone remember him?

Sure do. That was Scott Sheetz. More info here:

http://spirit.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/articles/1109_sonex.asp

His web site shows to be under construction at this time ...

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby DCASonex » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:47 am

Scott Scheetz. Got my transition training from him in 2012. Actual location was Iowa, just across boarder from Ill. Has Sonex TD with 3300. He is listed on Sonex foundation LODA list.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby steveald » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:26 pm

I emailed Scott several months ago, he replied that he was no longer offering training and referred me to Sonex LLC
Steve Aldridge
Sonex ST #1560
CYPK, BC Canada
steveald

Postby jerryhain » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:21 pm

I am a CFI located in Tucson AZ and I have a OneX quickbuild on order. I instruct in Gliders, Helicopters and Airplanes and do tailwheel transitions as well. I would like to find a Sonex owner in the local area that is willing to use their aircraft for transition training. If anyone is interested or just wants to talk call me during daylight hours at 520-870-9311.

Jerry Hain
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Previous

Return to Sonex