A Little Plans “Gotcha” – SNX-T04-06

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

A Little Plans “Gotcha” – SNX-T04-06

Postby Ironflight » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Not a huge deal, but as we were building the stabilizer skeletons, we dutifully built the -09 clips as shown on the drawing – this included the four pilot holes to match up with the nose rib.

I then grabbed the nose rib out of the pile of pre-made kit parts, and noticed that while on the drawing it was shown as blank, the actual part (a Sonex part) is pre-drilled. Unfortunately, the holes aren’t a nice rectangle – they are tapered – like the rib – so they don’t match up the previously built clip.

I am guessing that Sonex is trying to help out by having the pilot-drilled part all ready for you – but unfortunately, the clip needs to be revised. Fortunately, they supply a little extra material for building spares….
Onward!

Paul
Paul Dye
"Ironflight"
Building a Xenos!
Ironflight

Re: A Little Plans “Gotcha” – SNX-T04-06

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Paul,
I am finding that anytime I am told to drill pilot holes, it is a good idea to see where the part is used later in the build and see what it mates to. Even if they don't sneak in tapered spacing, I am not a machine (nor is my 13 year old build partner) and often the holes won't match. Last thing that got me was the phenolic flap pivot blocks. Adam did a great job of laying out the holes and fabricating those parts. Too bad we didn't use the CNC mount angles from the machined angle parts optional kit to lay out those holes with a transfer punch. They didn't fit.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Ditto what Bryan said. As a rule (that I learned the hard way also) , make sure any holes the plans say to mark and drill don't have a matched part that is already laser drilled.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:35 am

Ryan and were trying to say the same thing, but he said it better!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby racaldwell » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:58 pm

This makes me feel like I'm loosing my mind. I was just making those parts about 9 months ago & don't remember this issue. I think my filing cabinet upstairs is getting full these days so the little life details are just discarded when the day is done. Maybe when I drilled them out to #30 it swallowed up the mismatch. I'm riveting everything I can with solid rivets. I hope I can save some weight that way. I have all the riveting tools from previous projects so might as well use them.

Rick in FLA
Xenos #0057
racaldwell

Postby Rynoth » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:33 pm

racaldwell wrote:This makes me feel like I'm loosing my mind. I was just making those parts about 9 months ago & don't remember this issue. I think my filing cabinet upstairs is getting full these days so the little life details are just discarded when the day is done. Maybe when I drilled them out to #30 it swallowed up the mismatch. I'm riveting everything I can with solid rivets. I hope I can save some weight that way. I have all the riveting tools from previous projects so might as well use them.

Rick in FLA
Xenos #0057

It depends on how old your kit is I think. They've added a lot of additional laser cut holes in the past couple years to the kit parts, which really is an upgrade to the kit itself, but the plans don't necessarily reflect these new additions. Once you figure it out, it can/does make things easier... but it can end up being an early stumbling block.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Return to Xenos