AeroInjector on Revmaster

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

AeroInjector on Revmaster

Postby BRS » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:03 pm

Has anyone tried the AeroInjector on their Revmaster R2300?
Anyone have an AeroInjector for sale?

This is not a new problem to VW engines, Cylinders 1&2 (pilot side) run a much different (150˚F EGT) mixture than do Cyls 3&4. That and a few other things make me think trying an AeroInjector in place of the similar RevFlow might provide better results. I don't have space for a float carb, don't waste any keystrokes suggesting one.

To be honest I'm just now starting to research the AeroInjector so this is really the beginning of the process.

What thinkith thou?
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Re: AeroInjector on Revmaster

Postby GordonTurner » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:51 pm

Try a float carb…. Jk

I don’t know anything about it…but I know some guys have had success changing the orientation of the aeroinjectir, I’m sure there’s a thread about that somewhere. Maybe worth investigating
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby BRS » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:00 pm

GordonTurner wrote:Try a float carb…. Jk

I don’t know anything about it…but I know some guys have had success changing the orientation of the aeroinjectir, I’m sure there’s a thread about that somewhere. Maybe worth investigating

Thnx Gordon, I hadn't thought of just 'cocking' the carb a bit in the mount. Will give that a try.
-brs
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby gammaxy » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:10 am

I didn't notice anything when I twisted mine. I think since only one side of the engine breathes at a time, you can't really send extra fuel to one side of the engine by clocking it.

Have you been able to confirm the cooler side really is richer by showing its EGTs peak later than the hotter side?
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby GraemeSmith » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:40 pm

I found I could get a better balance between left and right on the AeroVee with an Aeroinjector by varying the thickness of the gasket between the manifold and the cylinder head. Aeroconversions supply a plate (ACV-M01-17 Intake Manifold Spacer Plate) to go in that gap - but I found that by leaving it out on one side and in on the other - I got the mixtures to really balance out left/right.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: AeroInjector on RevFlow

Postby BRS » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:34 pm

Seems my uneven flow is based upon a rookie mod. After lots of thread reading and a quick conversation with Joe at Revmaster is seems clear (is that an oxymoron using 'seems' & 'clear' together?) that I oops-ed when creating my ram-air induction. I had read some about ram-air not working with the AeroInjector but seeing and mis-interpreting the picture/info on the Revflow carb let me to think that for some reason ram air would be fine.

RevFlow pic shows a cold air intake valve exposed to ram-air. BUT since that ram-air is free to exit in reverse flow (inside to outside) through the filter it does not really increase the MAP thus it's not pushing the fuel backwards at the needle.
revflowass.jpg
revflowass.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 8750 times

The symptoms I've been having make sense now. On takeoff I was experiencing what seemed to be very lean conditions while the jet is clearly adjusted very rich. Soon I'll have this all sorted out by eliminating the ram-air or perhaps later installing a balance tube from ram-air to the fuel tank. For now I'm going to go with just a filter in warm air and block the ram altogether.
Attachments
FilterConeInstallation.jpg
FilterConeInstallation.jpg (233.78 KiB) Viewed 8750 times
Cowl.jpg
Cowl.jpg (193.09 KiB) Viewed 8750 times
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby bvolcko38 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:42 am

I have given much thought to ram air also. I even went as far as providing a connection for plumbing a vent into the fuel tank that would "see" ram air pressure.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Re: AeroInjector (Ram & fuel vent)

Postby BRS » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:57 am

bvolcko38 wrote:I have given much thought to ram air also. I even went as far as providing a connection for plumbing a vent into the fuel tank that would "see" ram air pressure.

There was another poster who mentioned adding equalizing pressure from the ram air to the fuel tank would work. Makes sense. Did you actually add the vent or just think about doing so?
-I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually done this.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby bvolcko38 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:30 am

I never added the vent, just made provision to do so.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Followup: AeroInjector on Revmaster

Postby BRS » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:17 pm

Today I made considerable progress to figuring out what causing mixture (lean & uneven) conditions.

Uneven: Swapping a few probes proved that it was the probes which are at fault. On the cold EGT cylinders I had cut a bunch of excess wire instead of making a 'service loop'. Seems that did not work out so well. I've been searching and can't find that shortening the Type-K thermocouple wires was a no-no. I have two new ones on order.

Running lean: After figuring out the above, I continued to ground test referencing only the two warmer EGT's. It seemed that no matter how much I enriched the needle it was still too lean. After calling RevMaster, Joe said that they recently made a small change to how the mixture cable was routed. Seems my routing was not allowing enough needle travel. A fix is in the works.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Next

Return to Other Engines