OMEGA-1 engine

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

OMEGA-1 engine

Postby BRS » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:58 pm

I just happened upon this site (actually a u-tube video). It’s still in dreamware status but it sure gets the creative juices flowing with all the possibilities. Hope they get it to market.

https://astronaerospace.com/
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Re: OMEGA-1 engine

Postby NWade » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:49 pm

Any person, product, or website with that much hype and hyperbole is a scam.

—Noel
NWade

Postby lakespookie » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:44 pm

looks like they are looking to grab some headlines and some series A funding or a licensing partner. Def Vapor ware at this moment. It is an interesting concept for low load applications like a car but alot of the efficiency gains they mention are related to skip cycle which makes no sense in either an aviation or marine application which are high load high demand applications in general. Most airplane and marine engines are basically run at significant loads for sustained periods. I would also have significant questions about how they deal with lubrication and sealing of the combustion chamber, this is essentially a non-wankel rotary design where as the rotary uses apex seals and a combination of the shape and spin dynamics of the rotor to create combustion this thing basically has two interlocking parts that perform a similar function. If they can work out the Metal Expansion and sealing issues it has some potential but way to many unknowns.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby N190YX » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:31 pm

The Higgs diesel aircraft engine series is actually taking orders, but not yet for the one I think is the best one for a Sonex/Waiex, which is the "Swift FL150" a 147 pound 115 horsepower version. They are taking orders for the "Flacon200J/G" which is a 165 pound 210 horsepower version. !! See: https://www.ac-aero.com/technologies/
N190YX

Postby lakespookie » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:25 pm

Now those look cool i wonder what the cost is on them, The deltahawk was outragous at close to 90k
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby lakespookie » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:40 pm

Found some pricing, the 115/130 HP is 25k + 7K for the ignition system the 210/250 HP is 45K + the same 7 for the Ignition system. It would probably not be practical to run the 200hp variant for 1 cost and 2 the inability to get a prop that can effectively handle that power at our diameters i mean even with a 3 or 4 blade 150Hp is probably the limit of what would be reasonable with a 64 inch prop and ground clearance will be pretty tight at that diameter. but the 115/130 is pretty much in line with the cost of a UL/Rotax solution and you are burning Jet-A, That being said this is a pretty novel design so the obvious risks exists but they are a more established group with some lineage in the racing and custom stroker scene for Lycoming's.

Here is the data Sheet i found with pricing. I would say these prices are probably not 100% accurate but its something published. https://www.ac-aero.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ac_FALCON_2020_R00_051820.pdf

Note the split power numbers are Naturally aspirated, VS Forced Induction. Note Force Induction engines are not slated to start shiping until end of 2022 or later.

Ignition System Kit is dual redundant (dual ECU’s, Coils, Harness and Fuel Injectors) Fuel Pump will need to be provided by the builder according to the website.

It also looks like its more compact than a rotax based on the drawings but i am not sure which rotax they are referencing.

Deposits are reasonable 2500 to hold your place in line. 50% due at time of serial number issue/Assmebly start, additional 50% prior to shipment.

Lead times advertised are 25-35 Weeks for assembly + 4-6 weeks for shipping.

On a seperate note i wonder if the current fuel tank will handle Jet-A i assume so but you know what assumptions get you.

MODS This is probably off topic for the OPs post and maybe the ac-aero discussion should be split off.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby lakespookie » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:05 pm

BRS wrote:I just happened upon this site (actually a u-tube video). It’s still in dreamware status but it sure gets the creative juices flowing with all the possibilities. Hope they get it to market.

https://astronaerospace.com/

BRS since you are the lead poster with the split of the engine post can you update the posting title?
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby Spinnetti » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:51 pm

My uncle has a dozen patents on a similar engine. Unless there is new magic, its not really practical in this sort of application because of low torque. With lots of multiplication maybe. Good use for this kind of thing is as a APU, or range extender for a battery powered system.
Spinnetti

Return to Other Engines