revmaster engine mount ?

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

revmaster engine mount ?

Postby tx_swordguy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:25 am

I am helping get a revmaster put back together for a onex and in mounting the engine I have a question on mounting bolt torque. The bolt themselves are an4 and torque values are max of 70 inch pounds. in getting to that number the bushing is quite squished and I am wondering if that is the correct way to do things. My only other engine mounting experience is with a rotax 582 and the mount itself had a metal tube surrounded by the rubber bushing and the engine was mounted to the tube and the bushing was mounted to the engine mount. The sonex mount has a tube that the bolt goes through and the urethane bushings slide onto the tube squishing the engine between both sides of the bushing. Do I want to get the engine mount tube solidly against the washer holding the engine on with a torque value of 70 inch pounds regardless of how much it appears to be squishing the bushing? In doing that is does not seem to give much at all and I am concerned about too much vibration transmitting through the engine mount. So guys how solid do you mount your vw engines ?
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Re: revmaster engine mount ?

Postby N21X » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:20 am

The plans calls out for a just a nylon nut. I agree the #4 bolt seems undersized. I ended up omitting nylon nut and replacing with a castellated nut.
CFI, CFI—I, MEI, MEI-I, ATP, A&P
US ARMY Veteran
Rv9a - Flying
Rv3a - Flying
Onex #165 (Flush riveted w/AM 13 AEROMOMENTUM 127hp & a 59” 4 blade prop)
N21X

Return to Other Engines