Corvair Costs

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Corvair Costs

Postby daleandee » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:53 pm

samiam wrote:I'll have about $15k in my FWF for the 3000cc Corvair, including mount/carb/etc. That includes every part available by WW/SPA including mount.

It's not the cheap route by any means. But I wanted the experience of building my own engine, greater HP, and more guidance as a first time builder than I could get with the Aerovee. The Corvair fit all of these items, at a cost that is between an AV and a Jab.

Thanks for the insightful post. My 3.0 Corvair wasn't nearly that costly and it was assembled by Dan Weseman but that was a few years ago. Dan noted that mine was the first production 3.0 that he built. His original Cleanex had a 3.1 but required extensive mods to build. I must also give Dan a nod as he is an excellent mechanic with an amazing skill set.

Many that consider Corvair power do not realize that there are multiple combinations as to displacement i.e. 2700, 2775, 2850. 3.0 & the stroker 3.3. Engines up to 2850 use the stock cylinders after an overbore. The 2850 is rated at 110 HP and gives really great performance. No machine work is required to the block on the 2850.

In a story I wrote a few years ago for the newsletter I noted that I was first attracted to the Corvair by the lower cost. But after learning about them and flying behind one I'm now drawn to the reliability of this engine. More to your point ... spending money on a better engine is the right thing to do. I have wondered at the wisdom of putting five grand on the panel by saving money on a cheaper engine. There are some beautiful airplanes around with five grand in the paint job. They are gorgeous for sure!

My approach was to spend $800.00 on my "2200" paint job, use the MGL singles in the panel, and spend the savings on the engine & carb. A quote from William Wynne is spot on:

There is no characteristic more important than reliability. Anything you could get in trade for reliability isn’t worth it.

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
169.4 hours / Status - Flying
Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association
Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP7UYEqQ-g
daleandee

Previous

Return to Other Engines