Corvair - General Info

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Corvair - General Info

Postby Marrahm » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:51 pm

According to SPA, the new 3.3 corvair engine with , intake , carburator , carb box, exhaust system, coils, igniton wires,coil joiner,voltage regulator ,cooling baffels ,oil cooler, hoses, starter , generator, propeller, spinner, cowling, and oil is 255lbs, which is 40 lbs heavier than a 33oo jabb install.

Think Sonex nosegear assembly weighs 40 more than the TD FWF setup?

Mike
Marrahm

Postby samiam » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 am

It's a bit of a shame that we can't respectfully talk about Corvairs here and share information; please everyone, let's try to keep it civil.

With regard to John's remarks: I'll start by saying that I have utmost respect for the work that you've done and for your design. I am happy to use a different name than Sonex for a Corvair powered airframe if that is what you prefer.

I think that from my perspective, it is challenging that in this discussion about the suitability of the Corvair/Sonex combination, we are ignoring the 10+ years of successful Corvair powered Sonex airframes with over 2 dozen flying aircraft and no reported issues. This is not an off-the-cuff idea; it has been tried and shown to work very well, and owners are generally reporting to be very pleased.

I was given to understand that Jeremy's comments during the EAA webinar on weight and balance represented something of a "softening" of the Sonex stance on the usage of alternative engines; however, if John feels that using a Corvair is "blatant disregard" for the design then I suppose this is not the case. As it is his airframe and his company, I will respect that decision as it is his to make.

That said, I do think that sharing of W&B data is suppressed because those who have done it are hesitant to come forward because of comments such as these, so it is a bit of a catch-22.

Thank you to everyone who has constructively contributed to this thread.

Mike
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby jerryhain » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Marrahm wrote:
Think Sonex nosegear assembly weighs 40 more than the TD FWF setup?

Mike

Does anyone know how much weight the nose gear including wheel pant, everything hanging off the engine mount on the OneX is?
I want to know what the firewall forward will be for a turbo aerovee with turbo cooler and the nose dragger on the OneX.
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby Rofomoto » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:39 pm

Are corvair motor mount drawings available? Thanx billy
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby samiam » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Not that I know of. SPA has them, and they are delightful to do business with.

https://flywithspa.com/product/sonex-co ... ine-mount/
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Previous

Return to Other Engines