100 hour CAMit 3300

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

100 hour CAMit 3300

Postby kmwoody » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:17 pm

HI all,

Just wanted to report that I have just passed 100 hours on my CAMit 3300 since the first start on 3/07/16.
It has ran flawlessly with no hiccups, burps or hesitations. I usually cruise at 2600 rpm with an avg. indicated cruise of 137 mph with an over 300 mile range and over an hour reserve. I have been burning an avg. 4.5 gph using 91 octane. I have figured that if I fly 100 hours per year my cost per hour works out to just over $33 per hour, including insurance, hangar rent, condition Inspection, 25 hour maintenance and fuel.

It has taken me to many fly-ins, breakfasts and lunches with the "retired guys' whenever I had a chance. It has taken my wife and I, from Iowa, to Door County, the Upper Peninsula, NW Minnesota, and even a few date dinners. She loves it as much as I do because it can easily climb her out of the "bumps". It has even taken me to the largest gathering of Sonex in the state of Iowa ever (I think) when Doug Boyd and Lorin Miller arrived at the Algona fly-in just after I arrived. So a total of 3 Sonex. One fly-in patron asked if we were going to put on a show. I did miss Oshkosh this year after flying to the last 3.

I would recommend a CAMit to anyone looking for a reliable, powerful, efficient aircraft engine but we all know how that story ends. I am still glad I purchased the CAMit and the experience I had installing it.

Happy flying all,

Ken W
Sonex 959 430 hrs
CAMit 3300 061 100 hrs
kmwoody

Re: 100 hour CAMit 3300

Postby samiam » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Ken,
That's awesome and I'm glad to hear it. It's too bad CAMit is closing doors, they seemed to just be starting to get some momentum behind their engine. That said, I'm hoping the latest iterations of the Jabiru 3300 can continue to provide the same type of reliable performance that you are seeing.

Thanks for sharing - it helps keep us all motivated to keep on building!
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Re: 100 hour CAMit 3300

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:36 am

Ken,

Glad to hear about your engine reaching a first milestone. My Camit 3300 only has just under 40 hrs on it as of yesterday. Flew for first time in 3 weeks with weather on my only available days (weekends) being a factor. Rained 14 of the first 18 days of October. \
Yesterday was a really sweet flying day. Not the most comfortable; flew with hot packs in my jacket while the outside temps hovered around 45 degrees.
Mountain tops were dusted with about 4" of snow above 5,500'.
What I like about these conditions are the performance of the plane and engine. High pressure making air dead calm. Smoke rising to about 4,000' and flattening out. Lots of controlled burns in the forests in N. Idaho during Oct. and Nov.
Push throttle forward slightly and you can feel the prop bite in and push you back in the seat. Love it!
Yesterday, I made four take offs and landings and each one I throttled back at about 500 agl because at 115 mph indicated I was going up at over 1,400 fpm. and didn't need that kind of rocket departure. Save the engine and obviously, cht's were never a factor as one would expect. Oil pressure runs consistant 67-68 lbs at temperature.
I will be very happy if someone picks up the line for further production and development. If not, well then I hope this engine takes me into flying retirement? Its a sweetie so far.

Larry
Waiex121YX, Camit 3300 running smooooooooth.
LarryEWaiex121

Return to Other Engines