Great Plains engine - Just met Steve @ Sun n Fun

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Great Plains engine - Just met Steve @ Sun n Fun

Postby revlis240 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Hey guys!
Just spent some time talking to Steve Bennett at Sun N Fun 2012, and I must say I sure am impressed with what I saw from them. The force one prop hub, with its giant bearing sure makes a lot of sense to me. Having seen many corvair guys breaking their cranks before using a 5th bearing up front, I feel better not using a shrink fit prop hub that the Aerovee uses. What does the Revmaster use anyone know?

What I am more curious to find out, is what kind of climb FPM can we expect from a ~80hp VW and a sonex loaded to gross? 100% of my flying will be done below 3000FT (300 mile radius of los angeles). I weigh 180, my wife 120, and 40 lbs baggage = 340 lbs + fuel. The air frame on average weighs say 650 lbs, and 100lbs fuel = 1100lbs.

PS, saw a Waiex today with 5 gallon wing tanks, COOL!

Abe
revlis240

Re: Great Plains engine - Just met Steve @ Sun n Fun

Postby Mike53 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:23 am

Just curious did he show respect to his competition or did he try to put the fear of God in you if you even thought about buying an Aerovee? ie;did he bring up prop/hub failure tales about the Aerovee?
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Re: Great Plains engine - Just met Steve @ Sun n Fun

Postby revlis240 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey
Actually he was rather non-aggressive. Didnt push his product nor really down talk the competition. They had a broken crank on display and focused on the fact that one of theirs has never broken. I felt it was a pretty good pitch. Regardless of what they said, i liked what i saw regarding the force one prop hub.
revlis240

Return to Other Engines