First start up - Viking Waiex N49YX

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: First start up - Viking Waiex N49YX

Postby gcm52 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:58 am

That is a great accomplishment! What has your experience been as a Viking customer so far? Was the engine delivered on time? Was there any firewall forward support? Any glitches you had to overcome and if so was the customer service good from the factory?
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby Waiex 49 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi George,

I am very happy with my experiences as a Viking customer.
Everything was delivered on time, as promised.
Firewall forward included engine mount adaptors (AeroVee mount to Viking), cowlings, propeller, spinner, ECU's, gearbox, radiator, oil cooler, etc. They provided pretty much everything I needed except hardware and misc. bits needed for my Dynon system.
Viking now offers a "grab bag" of misc. bits such as plumbing fittings, coolant, etc. that pretty much makes the firewall forward complete. You could buy these items separately, but you will pay more for shipping from all the individual suppliers.
Viking has a great installation manual that you can download, plus a large number of installation videos they have posted to YouTube.
Support from Viking has been very good. I didn't need much in the way of support, but when I e-mailed them with my questions I always received a response within 24 hours.
The only difficulty I have had with my Viking installation is that I have a very active career and home life that don't allow me to work on the plane as much as I would like. Also, my plane is in a hangar 25 miles from home, so I don't get to work on it every night as I would if it were in my garage.
I have detailed all my experiences on my web page: www.mykitlog.com/donbowen

I don't drink anyone's cool aid. Not Sonex's nor Viking's.
I love the Waiex, but for me the AeroVee was a complete disaster.
I believe this will be an outstanding engine/airframe combination that will suit my needs.
Waiex 49

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:38 pm

Don,

That is an impressive looking engine installation!

I look forward to hearing about your flight reports!

It is always good to learn from the experiences of others.

You have my respect for taking on this challenge and being one of the first.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Previous

Return to Other Engines