Corvair Engines

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Corvair Engines

Postby corton » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Any builders out there who wouldn't mind some regular emails/phone calls on building a Corvair? There's a lot of information out there, and not all of it is centrally organized, so I just need someone who's BTDT to check with.

As some examples, I'm building a 2700 engine. William Wynne says that the DIY parts should run about $5500, but I'm coming in around $8000 on mine (haven't spent that yet, but...) Or is that for parts only, and services like rebuilding the heads just adds-on from there? So the question is: how much did you spend on the engine?

How long did it take you to get the heads back from Falcon?

Did you use Dan W for your crank processing? How long did he take?

Did you use all of Williams gold parts?

Thanks;
Carl

(edit - thought I had a signature line)
DFW Area
corton

Postby GordonTurner » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi Carl,

I'm having a 3.0 built by WW. It's difficult to address exact costs right now because I'm away from home. I have had Dan W make me one of his new crankshafts and while it took awhile the cost which included machining of the case and new connecting rods seemed fine. My heads are being done now. Same story, took a long time but costs are fine.

Fortunately I started on the engine early. I'm still finishing up the wings and have a ways to go on the fuselage before I'll need the motor, and I appreciate having the engine costs come in a little here and a little there.

When i ordered the motor mount, Dan cranked it right out.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby 1flyingyogi » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:59 pm

Does anyone have an idea of how many Sonex's are currently flying with Corvairs?

Looks like most of the Corvairs are from William Wynne, but what do you think about the ones from Azalea Aviation (Bill Clapp)? Are they not as popular just because he got in it later (and so less well known) compared to WW or is there some other reason why builders aren't using them as much?

I spent a bit of time talking and corresponding with Bill Clapp through email and the logic behind his design sounds good to me. But I'm just a newbie so what do I know. What do you guys think?
1flyingyogi

Postby samiam » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Go to www.flycorvair.net and do a search for Azalea Aviation. You will find out what WW's thoughts are on this. He is a stalwart when it comes to safety and flying by proven methods, and feels very strongly that the project that he has R&D'ed for the last 25+ years is quite strong. It's not for everyone though.

Just my two cents. Good luck!
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby vigilant104 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:52 pm

1flyingyogi wrote:I spent a bit of time talking and corresponding with Bill Clapp through email and the logic behind his design sounds good to me. But I'm just a newbie so what do I know. What do you guys think?

I have no direct experience with his products, but Bill is very open and easy to reach, he is a frequent participant on the Homebuilt Airplanes board (http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com), and has a reputation for delivering his products on time and for dealing fairly with people. His demeanor is friendly and supportive: he's not arrogant, condescending, or rude to newbies trying to find out about Corvair engines. If you haven't been there already, you might take a look at the Homebuilt Airplanes site and see what he's written and what others have said about his products.

Be warned--there's quite a bit of "sniping" between those in the Corvair aircraft engine biz, and it's often not pretty. You'll have judge for yourself who the villains and heroes are, but if you are seen traveling between the camps you are likely to wind up with an arrow in your back. It feels like the 8th grade sometimes.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby 1flyingyogi » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:34 am

vigilant104 wrote:
1flyingyogi wrote:Be warned--there's quite a bit of "sniping" between those in the Corvair aircraft engine biz, and it's often not pretty. You'll have judge for yourself who the villains and heroes are, but if you are seen traveling between the camps you are likely to wind up with an arrow in your back. It feels like the 8th grade sometimes.

Haha. Yes, I totally get that. I'm not at all interested in the drama. I only want to make an informed decision and see what other users experiences are with the products these guys have to offer - not their personalities, although having someone easy to deal with is a plus, but the conflicts and drama they have with each other, I prefer to stay away from.

So on that note, is there anyone else here on the forum with Azalea's Sypder conversion who would like to share his experience? Or WW's conversion? I'd like to hear experiences from both, but looking specifically for Bill Clapp's, since there doesn't seem to be very many people flying his.

Thanks again.
Brian
1flyingyogi

Corvair Engines

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:00 am

Brian

There are certainly a number of Corvair conversions flying, and some of the owners do frequent the forum. I hope one of them will join in and share their experiences.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
N1517S
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:07 am

For the past 3 Airventures, I always make time to attend one of WW's talks. They are more a rival meeting than a seminar. He is a true preacher in the religion of experimental aviation. However, you are either with him or against him. There is no middle ground. And anyone who doesn't become a true believer, is shunned.

That being said, the Spyder certainly looks nice. But I'm not sure that rear flywheel will mate well with the sonex fuel tray.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby mooneybum » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:26 pm

CORVAIR ENGINES, well I went to one of WW Corvair forum, there was some one selling all kind of engine parts,
I looked at an dissasembled old engine, asked WW if that man was cosher to buy from and he said yes. I bought
all that stuff and took it to my hanger. Now by closer inspection I found a hole in the crank case and a big bad spot
on the crank shaft. I figured that it may be repairable but better ask WW. Calling for four weeks and e-mailing
him for the same time, I never got an answer. I did not wont to blame any body or my money back, all I was looking
for was advise.
I will never deal with this guy again.
mooneybum

Postby dc75 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:22 pm

Last edited by dc75 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dc75

PreviousNext

Return to Other Engines