Corvair Engines

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Corvair Engines

Postby Sonex 772 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:01 pm

[quote="dc75. The only downfall to his engines in a sonex is the rear mount starter.[/quote]

What do you think the downfall is on the rear mounted Starter??

I have been running a Bill Clap Corvair in my Sonex for some time now and have 58 hrs on it and it all works great.. I like the fact the every thing is mounted on the rear of the engine, this gives you the opportunity to use a Sonex Cowl..

The WW cowl makes the front of a Sonex not look like a Sonex..

Mike
Sonex 772

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:04 pm

Sonex 772 wrote:[quote="dc75. The only downfall to his engines in a sonex is the rear mount starter.

What do you think the downfall is on the rear mounted Starter??

I have been running a Bill Clap Corvair in my Sonex for some time now and have 58 hrs on it and it all works great.. I like the fact the every thing is mounted on the rear of the engine, this gives you the opportunity to use a Sonex Cowl..

The WW cowl makes the front of a Sonex not look like a Sonex..

Mike[/quote]
Did you have to modify the fuel tray? Seems to me the flywheel would interfere. Did you build your own mount?

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby dc75 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Last edited by dc75 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dc75

Postby Direct C51 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:44 pm

The Wesemans and sport performance aviation are now THE one stop shop for a WW Corvair conversion. Contact them and they can work up an invoice for all of the machining including the heads, all the WW Gold parts, the SPA parts, and other miscellaneous parts like the Yanmar Alternator. They have made it very easy. WW is incredibly frustrating to get in contact with. Even with a huge order just waiting to be placed, I can't get him to return a phone call or answer an email. WW knows a lot about Corvair conversions, but SPA knows how to run a business.

I highly recommend against a rear starter. Having a Sonex cowl is a pretty small reward for such high risk. Rear starters complicate the oil system, they place an unguarded ring gear inches from the fuel filler neck, and most importantly the rear of the Corvair crank just isn't designed for those loads.
Direct C51

Postby dbdevkc » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:18 pm

I would be very interested in learning from anyone with Sonex+Corvair experience about:
- finished aircraft weight
- weight and balance
- gph usage/performance
- climb rate

Any Waiex using Corvair?

Does someone with experience with the Corvair think there would be any advantages/disadvantages with it in a B model?

Thanks,
Kevin
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby Sonex1517 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:43 am

Kevin

I think you will find Dale Williams more than willing to share his Corvair experience. There are several others that lurk the forum that also fly behind a Corvair.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Previous

Return to Other Engines