Oil filters on a VW anybody else installing one?

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Oil filters on a VW anybody else installing one?

Postby rizzz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:32 pm

Got the oil filter installed yesterday:

I've been going backwards and forwards on whether or not to install an oil filter. Initially I was intending to install one and I bought the filter, mount etc., then I started doubting whether to add the complexity of the extra hoses etc.
Originally the VW engine did not have an oil filter, the AeroVee does not have one either and many people building other VW aircraft conversions seem to be happy without one as well, so that really made me wonder.
Then I came across a post from the late Bob Hoover, on the topic he said: " Do you know of any modern engine that does not incorporate full flow oil filtering?"
Ok, that got me over the line, I'm installing a filter.
I decided to mount it to the left side of the engine mount, not drilling trough the mount or anything, just clamped in place with 3 bolts and a bracket, the pictures show better than I can explain.
I also made and installed the hose going from the oil pump to the filter. I still need to make and install the hose going from the filter to the cooler and from the cooler back to the engine, however I did not have the correct AN fittings so I'll need to order these before I can finish the job.

Anybody else putting an external oil filter on their VW?
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Re: Oil filters on a VW anybody else installing one?

Postby Onex107 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:58 pm

There is nothing wrong with adding a filter, but. The Continental O-200 in my C-150 has never had a filter, since 1965 and 5000 hours of operation. I overhauled the engine at 2200 hours the last time and there was nothing wrong with it. Just a gult feeling for going 400 hours over TBO. I feel the secret to longevity is the 25 hour oil change, reccommended when you don't use a filter. With a filter they say 50 hours is required/allowed. It isn't dirty oil that is the problem, it's the buildup of acidic products from the NOX gases that eats your cam shaft. Chage oil more often and don't rely on the filter to "purify" your oil.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby GWMotley » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:37 pm

There are many of us who have installed an oil filter. If you notice, Sonex how has one in their web store as well. I feel better about it after looking at my bearings when I had to replace my crank recently. So, if you like the idea, do it.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby daleandee » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:55 pm

Onex wrote:With a filter they say 50 hours is required/allowed. It isn't dirty oil that is the problem, it's the buildup of acidic products from the NOX gases that eats your cam shaft. Change oil more often and don't rely on the filter to "purify" your oil.

Many air-cooled engines in older aircraft and VWs have run a good numbers of hours without a filter. I have a filter on my Corvair and like having it there as it can catch small items that could do damage if left unchecked. But your point about oil is extremely valid and changing oil often is the right thing to do. Even with my filter I still change oil at 25-30 hours. I heard a very wise engine builder say, "the cheapest parts you will ever put in your engine are gas and oil ... and BTW they are the easiest to install."

Welcome to 2015!

Dale
N319WF
daleandee

Postby radfordc » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:23 pm

rizzz wrote:Then I came across a post from the late Bob Hoover, on the topic he said: " Do you know of any modern engine that does not incorporate full flow oil filtering?"

Does any modern engine require oil changes every 25 hrs?
radfordc

Postby rizzz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:31 am

radfordc wrote:
rizzz wrote:Then I came across a post from the late Bob Hoover, on the topic he said: " Do you know of any modern engine that does not incorporate full flow oil filtering?"

Does any modern engine require oil changes every 25 hrs?

True.
Michael
rizzz

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:18 am

There have been numerous reports of people with Aerovees and other VW conversions using external oil filters who have blown the oil filter seal and or oil line to the filter. Sonex firmly warns against an external filter. The oil filter sold by Aero conversions is for use with the Aerovee turbo and sits inside the engine sump.

Anytime you make a modification to your engine, especially one warned against by Sonex you are taking a huge risk.

For me, I want my flight risks to be as low as possible.
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby dallen » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:59 am

Hi, I wasted about 400 bucks trying to install an oil filter and oil pump from CIP on my Onex and about a month of trying different filters including the HP-1. I couldn't get the filter to seal on the mount, kept blowing by. Not sure if the CIP pump just put out too much pressure or the mount was of poor quality. I did install the internal filter which seemed to work ok.

All I can say is good luck if you’re using parts from CIP.
dallen

Postby rizzz » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:12 pm

SonexN76ET wrote:There have been numerous reports of people with Aerovees and other VW conversions using external oil filters who have blown the oil filter seal and or oil line to the filter. Sonex firmly warns against an external filter. The oil filter sold by Aero conversions is for use with the Aerovee turbo and sits inside the engine sump.

Anytime you make a modification to your engine, especially one warned against by Sonex you are taking a huge risk.

For me, I want my flight risks to be as low as possible.

My engine has a Gene Berg oil pump cover with pressure relief valve which should prevent this from happening.
Michael
rizzz

Postby chuckster » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Slightly off topic, but I was not aware Bob Hoover had died. Google does not mention it. Does anyone know the date?.
chuckster

Next

Return to Other Engines