Comfort level between engines

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Comfort level between engines

Postby maishathelion » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:00 pm

I would like to hear from those of you that have installed and flown both an AeroVee or other VW engine AND! a Corvair.
This question is not concerned with power/weight/ initial cost or other performance factors but rather how you felt.
Did you have trepidations before starting your flight,did you wonder if the frammis on the finnigan pin was going to act up or how you would handle that recurring muffler bearing problem coupled with worries of how much it will cost to fix,how long it will take to get the parts and will i be able to get the correct authoritative information i need to fix the problem.
Or? did you have complete confidence that you were going to have a wonderful carefree and enjoyable flight?
Now understand;the question is not, DID! anything go wrong, but how you felt about that engine BEFORE! YOU FIRED UP.
If you care to answer me direct and chat about it please do at maishathelion@gmail.com or phone [707] 463-0467 9AM-10PM pacific

THANK YOU
LEE
maishathelion

Re: Comfort level between engines

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:22 pm

That's a very tough question to answer Lee and I think everyone's answer will be different. I'm sure everyone gets nervous, at least to a certain degree, during the initial flights of the airplane regardless of which engine is being used. Shoot, I work with some people that refuse to fly in an airplane unless it has at least 2 engines and they both need to burn Jet-A!

While I haven't flown in a Corvair, I have flown in my AeroVee powered Waiex and have ridden in other Sonexes with other AeroVee's, Jabiru 3300's, etc. and I remain fully confident that all of your engine options, if properly cared for, are suitable choices. Perhaps not as durable as Lycoming 0-320 found in a Skyhawk, but still good engines.

I guess I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Does that answer your question at all?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Mike53 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:38 pm

Michael is right.Everyone should have a little trepidation the first time they leave ground zero with a new engine.I will be flying behind a Hummel which will have been run and tested on the ground before I get it .Does that make me feel any better than the guy that built his or her Aerovee or Great plains engine? Absolutely not.Trepidation is a healthy thing in such an endeavour,and if anyone chimes in that they were cool as a cucumber and had zero concerns they are a few cards short of a full deck :?
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby DCASonex » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:47 am

As to confidence in engines, Keep in mind the old saying -- Ignorance is bliss. You may see or hear comments from those who have concerns about their engines based on real knowledge of same and thus perhaps they are safer to fly with than others lacking that knowledge and having full confidence in their engines.

David A.

maishathelion wrote:I would like to hear from those of you that have installed and flown both an AeroVee or other VW engine AND! a Corvair.
This question is not concerned with power/weight/ initial cost or other performance factors but rather how you felt.
Did you have trepidations before starting your flight,did you wonder if the frammis on the finnigan pin was going to act up or how you would handle that recurring muffler bearing problem coupled with worries of how much it will cost to fix,how long it will take to get the parts and will i be able to get the correct authoritative information i need to fix the problem.
Or? did you have complete confidence that you were going to have a wonderful carefree and enjoyable flight?
Now understand;the question is not, DID! anything go wrong, but how you felt about that engine BEFORE! YOU FIRED UP.
If you care to answer me direct and chat about it please do at maishathelion@gmail.com or phone [707] 463-0467 9AM-10PM pacific

THANK YOU
LEE
DCASonex

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:02 pm

I believe for me personally, one of the best aviation experiences I've ever had was getting my glider rating. Virtually every flight involves an engine failure if you may? It teaches one to "manage" what you have to your best advantage.
On my check-ride I ended up getting two rope breaks. One I fully expected and it came right on schedule at 200' AGL. No problem. Second one came at about 700AGL with the inspector putting me in an unsual attitude while on tow with my head down. He pulled so hard on the tow rope, he actually "broke" the rope. Upon hearing, "your plane" I was heads up to find myself dealing with the real deal. Uneventful in the end.
The point of the lesson is that proper pre-planning can lead to a more successful engine out event if one should occur. Unfortunately, there are times when an engine out leaves no reasonable place to go. I like to avoid those types of airports unless there are no reasonable alternatives.
I believe it is a useful tool for one to consciously call(to yourself) out safe zones, altitude callouts, available taxiways, runways, etc.
I know from certain altitudes I can make this spot or that spot.
Your level of comfort with your engine should definitely influence where you fly and how. My Jabiru 3300 has never let me down but that doesn't keep me from being ever vigilant. Hope I never need to demonstrate my "best stuff".

Larry
Waiex 121
Pilot and plane both down for annual condition inspection.
LarryEWaiex121

Postby radfordc » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:06 pm

If you aren't a little concerned on the first flight of a new engine you probably don't understand what's going on.
radfordc

Postby rizzz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:26 pm

Agree,
First (few) flight(s) you have to be as prepared as you can be for a possible engine failure.
One pilot friend who recently first flew his RV-10 told me you almost have to assume its going to happen.
Fly only in the most favorable conditions that will allow you to safely walk away from an engine failure.

For example:
My local airport has 2 runways: 16-34 and 08-26:
http://airportnavfinder.com/airport/YWOL/

The 16-34 runway is the longest and the 08-26 crosses 16-34 on the southern end, hence I am not planning to perform any of my first flights other than taking off from the 34 runway which gives me a chance to land back on the 34 or 08 runway if I have an engine failure on takeoff. If that's not an option there are also a few fields at the end of 34 I could go to.

It might mean I won't be able to fly when I want if the winds are not favorable, so be it.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:54 pm

I am with Michael on this one - I am going to based out of a beautiful east-west 2600 foot grass strip.

For my first flight, I am flying behind an AeroVee my wife and I built, a new turbo kit, and a brand new prop in an airplane that has never flown before.

First flight is going to be at a towered field 10 miles east of the grass strip with 3 runways and fire department across the street.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby fastj22 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:38 pm

The weekend before my first flight, I rented a similar LSA (GoBash) and did several circuits of the pattern with my CFI in the right seat. We discussed emergency landing areas on every leg. Even practiced a few. So the day of big event, I was familiar with every field and road off airport.
During the first flight, I was prepared to land from the time the wheels came off, to the point they returned. My plane flew as designed, and the first flight was a non-event. But extremely memorable.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Brett » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:54 am

Last edited by Brett on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Next

Return to Other Engines