Viking Engine

Other VW (Revmaster, Great Plains, Hummel), Corvair, Viking, etc. ****THESE ENGINES ARE NOT FACTORY APPROVED.****

Re: Viking Engine

Postby radfordc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:47 am

In fairness, Sonex has been criticized for essentially the same thing...updating the Aerovee engine over time. Customers who bought an engine and then saw major changes have voiced their displeasure.
radfordc

Postby fastj22 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:45 pm

I pulled the trigger and canceled my Viking order and requested my deposit returned.
Partly because I have a growing concern over the recent developments with Viking and lack of progress with a Sonex install, and mostly because I found a very nice Jabiru 3300 on Barnstormers which I purchased and received this weekend.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby rizzz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:58 am

radfordc wrote:In fairness, Sonex has been criticized for essentially the same thing...updating the Aerovee engine over time. Customers who bought an engine and then saw major changes have voiced their displeasure.

That is true,
Jabiru also has done numerous revisions over the years.

Maybe even more of a reason to go with designs that have been around for a while.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby 142YX » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Anybody know the percentage of experimental crashes due to nonstandard engine failures? (By non-standard i mean something different than what everybody else was using) I am sure it is pretty high.. i am not saying don
Waiex # 142 - Taildragger, Jabiru 3300
First Flight - July 13th, 2015
450 hours and counting..
142YX

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:12 pm

This is one reason I was so careful in picking the kit and engine combination. I'm a realist about the Aero-Vee, it offers a reliable engine at a good price, and should be easily maintained. Are there "better" choices? Maybe, probably....

But in my personal view the risks go way up unless you are very, very experienced with experimental aircraft and engines. I have little in the way of such hands-on experience.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm

fastj22 wrote:I pulled the trigger and canceled my Viking order and requested my deposit returned.
Partly because I have a growing concern over the recent developments with Viking and lack of progress with a Sonex install, and mostly because I found a very nice Jabiru 3300 on Barnstormers which I purchased and received this weekend.

Please follow up, if you would, and let us know when they return the deposit. (I'm trying to stay on the high road here) I know someone else who went through this and am very curious how it turns out for you.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby rizzz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:27 pm

Now there seems to be uncertainty about which engine mount will be used for the Viking on the Sonex:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Vikingair ... ssage/1008
Again this shows he has really not thought this all the way through before going to the market and he's developing as he goes along, like with the Eggenfellner Subaru engines the customers are the main testing department for his product.
I really hoped he had learned his lesson this time around because the Viking looks like it could be a great product, oh well, who knows it might turn out OK after all but so far my confidence has been shaken again and again...
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby chris » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:12 pm

At least its not a major engine change. I can understand some brainstorming and evolving ideas for designing (or modifying) a mount for an airplane that the engine has never been bolted on.
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Postby fastj22 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:09 am

No deposit returned. I really am not expecting one now. If anyone wants to use my deposit, I'll sell it to you for $500.
I'm really glad I cancelled though. Even if I lost my deposit. I now have a Jab3300 hanging on the front of my plane and I'm moving forward with the project at a pretty good clip.

His move now to adapt to the Aerovee mount just tells me he doesn't know the best way to hang one on a Sonex. I really hope it works out. We need more options for powerplants.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby TaxMaverick » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Isn't the point of a deposit that it is not refundable?

I put a car for sale on Craigslist on a Saturday one time. A girl gave me a $200 deposit to hold it for her until she could get the rest of the money out of the bank on Monday. Other people were calling and I turned them away. Monday she changed her mind and asked for her deposit back. I gave it back because she was a whining girl.

I probably could have sold the car in one day if it was not for her dinking me around. Instead, I spent four or five days selling it.

If I ever take a deposit again, I am making it clear I keep the deposit if they back out. It is compensation for them making me do things in reliance on their agreement to buy.

Eggenfellner wound up with some screwed Subaru customers. But, I do not think this means he should lose he right for life the keep a $1,000 deposit from someone who backs out because they find a deal they like better on something else -- like the used Jabiru 3300 you scored on Barnstormers. In my opinion, this is true even if you comb the internet for other reason not to like Eggenfellner -- all of which you could have found before making your deposit.
TaxMaverick

PreviousNext

Return to Other Engines