Jabiru 3300A distributor Cap

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Jabiru 3300A distributor Cap

Postby Nick » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:35 pm

I was working on my Waiex and Jabiru 3300A. I was making sure bolts and nuts were tight and doing a general wiring. While I was doing this I noticed that the distributor caps were loose so I started to tighten. I could not find any kind of indexing point on the distributor cap. I could turn or twist a couple degrees with the hold down screws. My question is this normal or do I have defective Caps. There has to be some kind of indexing or the timing could change. These are new distributor caps, but I still have the ones that I got with the motor and they are the same. AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE? I bought the motor that sat for 10+ years and did a top end overhaul on it. So it has not run yet. Any advise Please, Thanks OH PS There was someone just the other day that came by and they have a 2200A and they checked theirs and there is an indentation where the hold down clamp indexes on their distributor cap.
Nick
Legacy Sonex Waiex 0179
Jabiru 3300 Gen1 Rotec WCH, EI, TBI
N908WX
Nick

Re: Jabiru 3300A distributor Cap

Postby peter anson » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:38 pm

On my early model engine the distributor caps were still slightly loose with the clamps fully tightened so I added a thin strip of rubber to the notch where the clamp fits. That worked fine. The location doesn't have to be super accurate. You can't change the ignition timing by having the cap a degree either way. As long as the notches in the cap line up with the clamps it's fine.

Peter
peter anson

Re: Jabiru 3300A distributor Cap

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:20 am

Thanks Peter, I finally got ahold of Nick at Jabiru and he basically said the same thing. The only difference was he would sand down the bottom of the hold down clamp to make it tighter. Thanks again.
Nick
Legacy Sonex Waiex 0179
Jabiru 3300 Gen1 Rotec WCH, EI, TBI
N908WX
Nick

Return to Jabiru