Oil pressure spikes and variances.

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Re: Oil pressure spikes and variances.

Postby tx_swordguy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:09 pm

I saw that you cleaned the oil psi relief piston but did you wipe the tube it rides in clean? A small amount of grit lodged between the wall and the piston can make it stick. I know this from a revmaster but similar concept on jab. Just dont see another way for the oil psi to go that high unless the relief valve is acting up. That is if the reading is accurate. If it was low it would be a different story
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Postby lpaaruule » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:06 pm

I used a q-tip to clear out oil so I could see the inside of the tube. I didn’t see any grit. I have a feeling I’ll be opening it back up again soon though, so I’ll double check.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby wlarson861 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:14 am

I have used an electronic oil pressure sender(VDO) on two engines tied to my MGL Enigma. They never worked right! With the Jabiru I still get weird readings on the eifis as far as oil pressure. After I blew my oil cooler I added a mechanical oil pressure gauge. The VDO even on the Jabiru is erratic but the mechanical indicates 40 to 50 psi in flight. The Vdo is not accurate and engine decisions should never be based on what they report. Get a good mechanical oil pressure gauge and use that
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby lpaaruule » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:17 am

I contacted Jabiru, and the guy there said that he's never seen the engine make over 60 psi, even cold, and if it's an engine issue, the relief valve is the only thing he can think of.

So, I'm going to try setting the oil pressure limit to the max that the engine monitor will allow. If it pegs the limit, then I'll know it's not the engine (assuming the scaling doesn't change). I should be able to test that by simply disconnecting the wire from the pressure sender.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
lpaaruule

Postby DCASonex » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Possible oil pressure relief valve problem, but 80 PSI is what you will see with an open circuit so much more likely that it is a wiring / grounding problem.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby lpaaruule » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:23 am

My plan on setting the limit high didn't help. The display would only read 80 psi even with the pressure sender wire unplugged.

I added a separate ground to the sender, but unfortunately couldn't get the engine started (I think I flooded it), before the battery was too low. I hope to get out to the airport today, and try it out with a fully charged battery.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
lpaaruule

Postby lpaaruule » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:28 pm

Finally got back to the hanger today. Ran the engine with the separate ground added to the oil pressure sender housing.

Looked good at first, but as soon as the engine warmed up, the oil pressure started spiking to 80 psi again. Coincidently, the fuel flow was obviously incorrect, however I might have messed up the settings when I was looking through them. Also, the oil temp was unusually low, though it did rise, and seemed ok.

I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with the engine monitor. I think I'll send GRT an email.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
lpaaruule

Postby onex28 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:22 pm

I second wlarsom861’s suggestion. Hook up a mechanical pressure gauge for a second pressure opinion.

David W
onex28

Postby sonex892. » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:06 am

lpaaruule wrote:I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with the engine monitor. I think I'll send GRT an email.

If the wiring is good, the internal monitor circuitry could be what is breaking down. Its either, something in the circuit going open circuit, or worst case the engine. I still think it will be an instrument error of some sort and not the engine. What instrument are you using?
onex28 wrote:I second wlarsom861’s suggestion. Hook up a mechanical pressure gauge for a second pressure opinion. David W

You could also use an ohm meter on the sender as a pressure indicator while running the engine. The VDO 5 bar units increase in resistance about 10 ohm per 5 psi. That should tell you if the oil pressure is actually spiking or going open circuit somewhere else.
Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby DCASonex » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 am

The intermittent nature of your problem sounds like a faulty or loose connector, or broken wire or something that causes an open circuit. 80 PSI is the reading you will get with an open circuit. Would check entire length of wire from sender to your EIS looking for loose connectors, bad crimps, wire partially pulled out of a bad crimp, cold solder joint where wire connects to the multi-pronged plug, damaged wire where it passes any mounting point or through a bulkhead.

David A..
DCASonex

PreviousNext

Return to Jabiru