Jab Engine Mount Hardware

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Jab Engine Mount Hardware

Postby racaldwell » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:50 pm

I am getting ready to mount my CAMit 3300 on my Xenos. I bought the baffle kit and harder rubber isolators with instructions from Sonex. However, The bolts for the engine mount/Isolators and the spacers/washers are not included. I did not see any hardware with my CAMit engine though it possibly could be hidden underneath as it is still in the crate.

My hardware kit from ACS had four AN4-47A bolts included so I am assuming these are the bolts. Does anyone know the length needed? These seem a little long.

Can anyone tell me the spacer material and dimensions? I could make those I'm thinking. The picture in the instructions look like they are aluminum. Also looks like maybe some are different thicknesses. If they are, which goes where?

Thanks, Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Re: Jab Engine Mount Hardware

Postby sonex892. » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:31 pm

Hi Rick
Check the installation manual, there is a drawing which details this in cross section. Pages 38-40.
https://jabiru.net.au/wp-content/upload ... _04-20.pdf
Jabiru supply a set of washers with each motor, hopefully Cammit did the same for you. Yes, they are aluminium. There are 2 types of washer, The thinner non stepped washers are used to fine tune the motor alignment. If you cant find your washers you may be able to use the drawing as a guide to make your own.
Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby racaldwell » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:31 pm

Thanks Steve. I dug into the crate removing all the dry air dessicant packets I filled it up with when I received the engine and there was a bag including the washers/spacers. I'm taking the crate from the house to the hangar on Thursday. Just received my aircraft registration certificate today so only building left is firewall forward work then just a few steps away from calling for the airworthiness inspection. The fuselage is complete, including painting.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:52 pm

Hi rick,
the jab install manuel pg 40 lists the bolt nut washer

a) AN4-31A. no length
b) MS21042-4 nut
c) AN960-416 washer

what length are the bolts you now have?
you may have to assemble the rubbers washers etc to get the correct length. take into account the engine mount plate and the engine mount tube
let us know.
im not near the plane to measure for you.

good luck keep at it your getting close.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby racaldwell » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi Michael,

The bolts in the Jab manual will not work on the Sonex mount. On the Jab mount, the bolt head is wayyyy countersunk inside and on the Sonex mount the bolt head is outside the mount.

I checked today with the CAMit spacers I found in my crate. The AN4-47A bolts that was included in the ACS hardware kit are the correct ones when given an extra washer or two.

I see the Jab designed rubbers have a male & female pair and the Sonex rubbers are both male. Anybody ever have any issues with having a seam right in the middle of the engine mounting hole? I know the bolt should keep the seam tight but just asking.

Yes, getting close. I got my Registration yesterday and it only took little less than two weeks since I mailed it off.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:55 pm

Hi rick,
Good to know info. the jabiru mount depicted is for a jab plane. We have the sonex rubbers, never a problem.
just curious, what is the length of the bolts you have?. my plane is in tucson, im shelter in place here sf. otherwise would have measured the bolt length for you.

keep us appraised of your first flight.

have fun,

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby racaldwell » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:18 am

Hi Michael,

The bolts for the Sonex mount are the AN4-47A. I believe these are 4-7/16" grip length.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Return to Jabiru