Jabiru Cold Start Kit Availability

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Re: Jabiru Cold Start Kit Availability

Postby lpaaruule » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 am

My EarthX batter is also approx 3 yrs old, and I've been troubleshooting a starting issue for months. I never had trouble starting the engine in the past, and it's oil heater is always plugged in. This among other things has kept me out of the air for well over a month!

After contacting Jabiru, and Sonex tech support, the most likely cause is the engine not spinning fast enough. Like others have said, the coils don't even try to spark until close to 300 RPM.

So, I remembered that my friend has a Rotec Electronic Ignition kit that he hadn't installed (he's so angary at Rotec he doesn't want to use there products), and bought his for a deep discount.

I'm still in the process of figuring out how, and where I'm going to install it. I bought an aluminum heat sink, and I'm going to install a blast tube. Maybe it'll help me get another year out of the EarthX battery too.

For those that have electronic ignition, what spark plug gap are you using? I'm thinking of increasing it to .030 on just the plugs connected to the electronic ignition.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Previous

Return to Jabiru