Throttle cable snapped

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Re: Throttle cable snapped

Postby fastj22 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Here's my modified Aerocarb using a reversing arm and push/pull cable. Much smoother than the wire/boden cable setup. The aluminum thing on the intake is my air straightener.
Attachments
IMG_0948.jpg

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:50 pm

That looks moderately awesome. Do you have any drawings, more pics, or an Anson Engineering part number?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby fastj22 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:That looks moderately awesome. Do you have any drawings, more pics, or an Anson Engineering part number?

The arm was rescued from my Rotec but could easily be fabricated from a .25 rod. I drilled and tapped the slider to accept it.

A ⅛ angle aluminum is cut to hold the cable slot and bolted to the existing holes. Its a reverser so a standard throttle setup works fine.
The air straightener is from a computer supplier, Tony Spicer idea.
http://www.saxonpc.com/120mm-airflow-ho ... us120.html
Attachments
IMG_0946.jpg

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:49 pm

John,

I like your throttle set up. That could also still work with a throttle quadrant as well but the throttle lever would have to be below the axis point on the throttle, like on the Van's throttle quadrants.

One other thing, I am wondering why you replaced your Rotec TBI?

Thanks,

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby fastj22 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:28 pm

SonexN76ET wrote:John,

I like your throttle set up. That could also still work with a throttle quadrant as well but the throttle lever would have to be below the axis point on the throttle, like on the Van's throttle quadrants.

One other thing, I am wondering why you replaced your Rotec TBI?

Thanks,

Jake

The Aeroconversions throttle works fine too. Just use the top hole instead of the bottom one. That's what I have.
As for the Rotec, had an engine out traced back to the sticky regulator. Don't trust it anymore, too complicated, so that's why I'm back to the Aerocarb.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby lgsievila » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi John,
As for the Rotec, had an engine out traced back to the sticky regulator. Don't trust it anymore, too complicated, so that's why I'm back to the Aerocarb.

My Rotec MK II worked great until it didn't but thankfully I was taxiing back to the hangar when it happened. I had trouble with the MK I so they sent me a MK II for the cost of shipping my MK I back to Australia. I suspected a regulator problem too but never took it apart to look for the problem. Had to keep the primer pulled to keep the engine running. Just wondering if you sent yours back or actually found the problem.

BTW I used the same throttle cable as you show and that part worked great.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby jwd3ca » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:20 am

I had exactly the same failure as Bob several years ago, but thankfully on the ground.

This is exactly the reason the Bing carbs on Rotax engines have a spring to go full throttle. Which saved my ass once as I took off from Peterborough, ON with my wife in our Rotax-powered CH701. As I throttled back from WOT, the Vernier knob came off in my hand. Turned out well as the engine went back to full throttle and I was able to to a 180 and re-join downwind, using the mag switch to kill the engine on final.

Recently, I had the stranded wire inner cable in my Sonex/AeroVee/AeroInjector kink, again on the ground. Changed back to solid wire and am seriously considering installing a full-throttle spring before flying again in the spring.
jwd3ca

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:35 am

Hi loren,
Are u still using your rotec tbi? We havent had any trouble with ours yet. We are also using the throttle cable from ac spruce like you and john are using. Anyone else running a rotec tbi and have any issues?
Sorry to hear of johns trouble, off field ldng and busted wheel pants. But lucky thats all . I had reccomended the rotec to him a couple years ago. We like our mark 1.

I wonder if after use the spring inside gets compressed a little. .? Maybe needs stretched to within specs every 6 months? Any ideas guys?

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby lgsievila » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 am

Hi Michael,
Not using my MK II-it is an $800.00 paper weight on my desk in the shop. I have a Bing CV94 with electric carb heat on my 2200 CAMit and it works fine. After a MK I quitting me and then a MK II I gave up. They will keep running with the primer pulled but that was not acceptable to me. Good luck Michael.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:39 am

Hi loren, all,
Just finished reading the vaf vans site with threads on rotec tbi. Any one running a rotec should read all these posts. Now , we havent had problems with ours, but now im worried. Seems like a matter of when. Some of the posts relate to poor customer service, unreturned emails or calls. Seems likes thats the norm these days. Take the customers money, and no support. Sorry to hear of your's and johns troubles. Anyone else with rotec stories to share?
waiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

PreviousNext

Return to Jabiru