Jaburu Radio Noise

Jabiru 2200 / 3300 discussions

Jaburu Radio Noise

Postby n163yx » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:01 am

I have a WAIEX with a Jab 3300A, Dynon Skyview and Dynon Radio. Radio transmit and receive are very clear, but in between (no RX or TX), the RPM related noise is ear shattering. Squelch doesn't help. Dynon says my engine is generating aviation frequency noise and therefore the radio is not the problem. Anyone have a similar problem or any suggestions for a fix? Thanks. Don
n163yx

Re: Jaburu Radio Noise

Postby fastj22 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:18 am

Do you have the ability to disable the alternator from charging the system? I simple switch/relay on one of the "blue" alternator wires will do it. If the noise goes a way when you switch it off, you've got the source (alternator or voltage regulator).

Second check, does the noise go away when running on one or the other mags? (bad spark plug wire/mag/p-lead)

Third check, disconnect your mic plug and see if the noise goes away. If so, you have a feedback problem within the radio/intercom/headset. I chased a noise problem for a while only to find it was because I placed the unused passenger headset on the glare shield and the mic was picking up a lot of noise and feeding it back into the intercom.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Re: Jaburu Radio Noise

Postby n163yx » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks John. I'll give those a try and let you know. Don
n163yx

Return to Jabiru