Head gasket

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Head gasket

Postby Glenn.hunt » Tue May 06, 2014 9:53 pm

While I had my engine out, I thought I would pull the heads to recheck my compression ratio. Good news is that it is set correctly for 8-1. Problem is that Sonex recommends I change the copper head gaskets. How do you get the old ones out without damaging the aluminum head? Is it really critical that they be replaced? Only 100 hrs on engine.

Oil analysis came back clean so no excessive wear caused by out of tolerance end play on crank.

I was surprised by the amount of lead deposits I found inside the heads and on piston domes. Cylinders looked good.
Anybody have any experience with this?

Glenn Hunt Sonex N414SX
Glenn.hunt

Re: Head gasket

Postby mike.smith » Wed May 07, 2014 12:14 am

Glenn.hunt wrote:I was surprised by the amount of lead deposits I found inside the heads and on piston domes. Cylinders looked good.
Anybody have any experience with this?

Glenn Hunt Sonex N414SX

Are you using the Sonex-suggested lead scavenging additive?

Mike
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Glenn.hunt » Wed May 07, 2014 8:12 am

Never heard of it.
Glenn.hunt

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:24 am

Another way to keep lead fowling to a minimum is leaning. This is especially true on the ground while taxiing. There's no reason to be at full rich while the engine is basically idling. also, when flying at cruise power, go ahead and lean it out. Just watch the EGT and CHT to make sure nothing gets out of whack. You won't hurt a normally aspirated engine by leaning it once you're at cruise power settings or below, but you will help keep the plugs and valves clean by keeping the temperatures up. Too cool isn't cool when it comes to engine temps, especially when using leaded fuel.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby GWMotley » Wed May 07, 2014 9:33 am

I too notice that after a long cross country trip where I was required to use Avgas that a lot of lead buildup occurred. I lean very aggressively on the ground and air with an average fuel burn in the air of less than 3.5GPH. It looked almost impossible to get the head gaskets out. I was able to get them out really pretty easy with using a single edge razor and gently working it under the gasket around and around till it loosened. I have always replaced the copper gaskets each time I have had to remove the heads. But I know what you mean, they are a little expensive. I use to use TCP in my Maule and it worked great as a lead scavenger.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby Glenn.hunt » Wed May 07, 2014 9:12 pm

I always lean aggressively, in air and on the ground.

Joe Norris, I was going to email @ tech support but seeing you are online here, how would you suggest getting the copper head gaskets off.

GW, thanks for the razor idea, I will try that while I wait for Joe's reply.
Glenn.hunt

Postby Glenn.hunt » Wed May 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Also, my plugs are always clean when I pull them.
Glenn.hunt

Postby mike.smith » Wed May 07, 2014 9:48 pm

Glenn.hunt wrote:Never heard of it.

In the AeroVee manual it recommends a TCP fuel additive. I bought a quart from ACS, P/N 05-21300. There is a dispensing syringe that you get for it as well, as it only goes in in small quantities (1 oz per 10 gal of 100LL).

Mike
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:04 am

Glenn,

I've never had any trouble getting head gaskets out of the heads. Just a thin blade or a pick to get under the gasket a little bit and it should pop right out.

TCP is a wonderful thing, if you can find it. It seems like the supply is a bit "off and on", so when you find some you should buy it. Good stuff for use in all engines that are burning leaded fuel but really don't need the lead.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby kmwoody » Thu May 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Mike, can you elaborate on where you found the TCP recommendation in the Aerovee manual.

Ken W
kmwoody

Next

Return to Aerovee