AeroVee Turbo Engine Monitor

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

AeroVee Turbo Engine Monitor

Postby Txairmale » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:22 pm

I am getting to the point of my Onex build where I can see the nose and it's time to pull out the engine kit. I remember seeing specific listings for MGL about a package for the AeroVee's but I don't see that any longer. What are some of the engine monitor options available and do any of them integrate to common EFIS displays?
Txairmale

Re: AeroVee Turbo Engine Monitor

Postby XenosN42 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:19 pm

Txairmale wrote:I am getting to the point of my Onex build where I can see the nose and it's time to pull out the engine kit. I remember seeing specific listings for MGL about a package for the AeroVee's but I don't see that any longer. What are some of the engine monitor options available and do any of them integrate to common EFIS displays?

The Sonex web store shows all the EFIS models they sell. https://www.sonexaircraft.com/eshop/cart.php?target=category&category_id=287 Each of them comes with the appropriate RDAC, which is the device that sits between all your engine probes and the EFIS display screen. Of course you can source the components directly (from Aircraft Spruce, or Michigan Avionics), but then you're left with the exercise of determining what parts are needed, and you won't save much money, unless you can find used parts.

I have the MGL iEFIS Explorer in my OneX and love it! Reliable - check. Easy to use - check. Feature rich - check. Expandable - check.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Re: AeroVee Turbo Engine Monitor

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:04 pm

I have the MGL MX1 and RDAC XF. I also have the MGL V16 radio and the MGL adsb out package (uses trig xpndr). Sensors: 4 CHT, 4 EGT, oil temp, oil pressure, manifold pressure, RPM, OAT, turbo coolant temp. I would recommend the Flight Data Viewer to makes sense of all the data, it works great w my MGL install.

If purchasing MGL from Michigan def look at their pre-wired harnesses...they were great.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Return to Aerovee