AeroCarb initial settings for the AeroVee turbo

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

AeroCarb initial settings for the AeroVee turbo

Postby richkid0808 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that could give some initial settings for tuning the AeroCarb/Injector for use with the AeroVee Turbo. I'm currently using a number 2 needle backed out about 1 turn from the initial settings recommended in the manual.

The engine runs well at idle and at WOT but will often/sometimes balk or die when moving from idle to WOT. It's hard for me to guess what might be happening but I'm guessing the fuel/air mixture is moving too lean when moving to full throttle causing the balking but it's hard for me to tell which direction I should be moving things for tuning.

I operate at a field at about 4500' MSL. My EGTs at full throttle swing about 150 degrees Fahrenheit between full rich and and full lean. RPMs right now at full throttle are 3100 and I'm making 32" of manifold pressure as well. Manifold was reading 25" today so about 7" of boost at full throttle.

Thanks for all of your help everybody.
-Landon Richins
richkid0808

Re: AeroCarb initial settings for the AeroVee turbo

Postby richkid0808 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:07 pm

Was able to get everything all tuned up and behaving correctly by using a 2.5 needle. I ended up turning it about 1 full turn in to get everything running nicely. Thought I would post here in case it helps anyone in the future. Thanks everyone!

-Landon Richins
richkid0808

Re: AeroCarb initial settings for the AeroVee turbo

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:35 am

Nice job! My Aerocarb took a few tries to get set up, but now I've not touched it in over a year.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Aerovee