Engine stuttering in flight, stuck on multi day journey

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Engine stuttering in flight, stuck on multi day journey

Postby tps8903 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:10 pm

I have had two problems that mimic your current situation that I have fixed.

First was the fuel line vapor lock. I got it while taxiing in on my Turbo engine after long flights or on hot days.
My fix:
Removed gascolator and Fuel flow transducer. Both were aft of the firewall and acted like heat sinks. I also made the fuel line direct, like 14" total then wrapped that in the metal flexible heat wrap, then wrapped it again in the gold foil wrap. Problem #1 solved.

My second issue was a bad magneto, and then a bad coil. Heat damaged 3 of 4 of my ignition moduals over a 1 month period. I eventually replaced them all and changed the cooling to the back of the cowl which has remedied that situation. You can see if it's the mags by switching them off in flight one at a time.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Re: Engine stuttering in flight, stuck on multi day journey

Postby Ethanm » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:46 pm

Hey all, thanks for all the help!

The problem was resolved after applying more insulated tape around the fuel lines and around the fuel strainer. The symptoms would make a lot of sense with vapor lock. Also removed the fuel flow transducer, changed the fuel, and checked the fuel filter screen (clean). But I don’t beleive these didn’t contribute to solving the issue.
Ethanm

Previous

Return to Aerovee