Turbo Aerovee Exhaust Alignment Difficulty

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Turbo Aerovee Exhaust Alignment Difficulty

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:53 pm

I removed the right side head to install timeserts to fix a stripped sparkplug thread. That was easy. Reinstalled the head. I've been trying now for two days to reconnect the exhaust manifold to the head. It took alot of effort to get the 2 forward bolts in and I'm struggling trying to get the 2 aft bolts in. There's got to be a trick that I don't know about. If I was starting from scratch I'd put slip couplings in this 4 into 1 exhaust pipe to make it easier to work on. Did that on my Sonerai way back. Anyone have any suggestions?
Peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Re: Turbo Aerovee Exhaust Alignment Difficulty

Postby Murray Parr » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:42 pm

You could try loosening all bolts that are attaching any pipes connected to one another and see if you can get all the bolts in before tightening anything. Failing that, it probably wouldn't be that difficult to add a couple of slip fittings.
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby tps8903 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:47 pm

pfhoeycfi wrote:I removed the right side head to install timeserts to fix a stripped sparkplug thread. That was easy. Reinstalled the head. I've been trying now for two days to reconnect the exhaust manifold to the head. It took alot of effort to get the 2 forward bolts in and I'm struggling trying to get the 2 aft bolts in. There's got to be a trick that I don't know about. If I was starting from scratch I'd put slip couplings in this 4 into 1 exhaust pipe to make it easier to work on. Did that on my Sonerai way back. Anyone have any suggestions?
Peter

Mine was a Son of a Gun to get on. Took two people, so I have avoided removing it at all costs so far! The only way I could get it on was to start 1 bolt on each flange so there was still some movement, then apply pressure in the appropriate locations to start the second Bolts. I used a drill bit and made 1 set of flange holes a tiny bit larger to help me with the #3 cylinder.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby pappas » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:22 am

I also had a lot of trouble with the AeroVee exhaust installation for the same reasons. Every time I had to remove the exhaust I dreaded it.

I came to the conclusion that the jig that was/is used to align the mounting flanges to the exhaust tubes for welding was not accurate. It was almost like the flanges needed to be clocked slightly. Maybe it has something to do with the different heads that Sonex has used over the years. Don't really know.

The best solution I could come up with was to remove the worst-aligned flange, grind it smooth, and re-weld it to fit correctly. They really don't fit well as delivered.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby tps8903 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:26 pm

pappas wrote:I also had a lot of trouble with the AeroVee exhaust installation for the same reasons. Every time I had to remove the exhaust I dreaded it.

I came to the conclusion that the jig that was/is used to align the mounting flanges to the exhaust tubes for welding was not accurate. It was almost like the flanges needed to be clocked slightly. Maybe it has something to do with the different heads that Sonex has used over the years. Don't really know.

The best solution I could come up with was to remove the worst-aligned flange, grind it smooth, and re-weld it to fit correctly. They really don't fit well as delivered.

When I have to remove mine I'll probably buy new Flanges and tack weld them on my engine. Then remove and weld them myself, slowly, as not to introduce any twisting or stress. I agree Lou, I feel the jig wasn't right, or they didn't stress relieve the steel after welding.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby SteveHoffman » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:20 pm

I too had difficulty. I was able to get them installed using a pry bar to flex them.
SteveHoffman

Postby pappas » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:58 am

Yeah, I had to use the pry bar method in the beginning to twist the pipes and also had to enlarge a flange hole and still had to have a helper. I was never comfortable with the extreme amount of stress and tension remaining in the assembly after having to do that.

Re-welding is the next best solution. The best solution would be for Sonex or their contractor to re-examine their jig.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Return to Aerovee