Scratch Built Engine Mount?

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Scratch Built Engine Mount?

Postby Charles1954 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:54 am

Has anyone built their own Aerovee engine mount for Legacy or B Model? If so, do the plans give you enough info to build one?
Charles1954

Re: Scratch Built Engine Mount?

Postby kmacht » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:22 pm

Only the legacy A model sonex plans include enough detail to build the engine mount. The onex, b model, and a-model waiex plans do not. I seriously considered it during my scratch build. I found a few build logs back then that showed how to do it and the general consensus was to make and attach the flat parts that attach to the firewall, make the parts that attach to the engine, screw those engine attachment points to a piece of plywood, rig the plywood so it is in the right point in space relative to where the engine is supposed to be and then connect the fuesalage parts and the engine parts together with cut to fit tubes. The mount is pretty simple if you have one in front of you to reference but the plans can be difficult to visualize for the motor mount even though they do include everything needed. I ultimately decided to buy the mount as I came into some extra money about the same time as I needed it. From a welding perspective it is pretty straight forward if you choose to build it yourself.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Charles1954 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:34 pm

Thanks.
Charles1954

Postby tps8903 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:55 am

Charles1954 wrote:Thanks.

If you are planning a turbo you can take the opportunity to avoid contact on the lower right side of the engine mount with the turbo Up Pipe. Mine makes contact there, while others have had better luck.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Return to Aerovee