Oil Consumption Issue

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Re: Oil Consumption Issue

Postby achesos » Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:11 pm

Here's another $0.02 not adjusted for inflation >
Compression rings will help prove you have compression, but not prove you have good oil control rings - that will take visual inspection / confirmation. It doesn't sound like a serious rate issue yet, so this inspection is pretty aggressive and not super warranted now, right?
Your reduction in RPM likely also changed your airspeed, which then potentially changed your cowl pressure, which possibly changed your engine crankcase pressure (depending upon your breather location). If your CC went from vacuum to positive or just less negative, there is a higher probability of oil entering into the combustion chamber. Of course you also decreased the rate of firing pulses which might be burning it. Or it is some wild combination of the above or something else somebody smart could tell you? My primary observation is that you changed more than only your RPM.
At least you have awareness to verify your oil level. Good luck in your investigation.
Sonex N857SX
AeroVee, Taildragger, Dual Stick
achesos

Postby James Wiebe » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:36 pm

The oil consumption appears to be from:

a) The pushrod tubes on the 1/2 side are leaking oil.
b) Per conversations with Sonex, the separator in my airplane is an oddball. I'm replacing it with the larger, more capable Sonex unit. I'm swapping the separator top engine cap breather plate with the newer design.

When I pulled the intake manifold to replace the pushrod tubes, I am surprised by the gunk inside the intake manifold. The red anodized part also has similar gunk in it.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
20230816_191809.jpg
James Wiebe

Postby pappas » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:59 pm

I and others have posted about the Aerovee's sooty intake manifold previously. To date, I do not recall anyone coming up with a definitive answer on why this happens and I think Sonex has been silent on it. My experience has been with the turbo engine but normally aspirated engines see the same thing.

I also don't know if it is even a potential maintenance or safety problem. Input from Sonex would be nice to have.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:47 pm

I had thought it was from the 100LL. Like probably lead. Maybe if someone runs autogas in their Aerovee they can say it they see it or not.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:39 pm

I was using a 50-50 mix of avgas/auto and had no such carbon deposits in the intake. There was, however, a yellowish film.

Your intake ports have obviously been "massaged". Check for any compromised passages.

Wishing I was 30yrs younger here @Area 51%
Area 51%

Previous

Return to Aerovee